Need Advice on Supercharging | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Need Advice on Supercharging

Anyone have any experience on supercharging the 5.0L? After all the intake and exhaust work I have done and and tuned by Henson Performance (Thanks
James) my little motor still strains to push 2 plus tons down the road. I guess I should clarify that once I'm up to speed it perfoms great. The engine is strong and the truck will go faster then I care to(again thanks to James at Henson Performance for removing the speed limiter). I'm just looking for more power off the line(Damn Civics) and supercharging seems to me to be the best option. I don't want to tear into the engine (thats for another day). So I thought I would ask you all about doing this. I have been researching and can pick up an Eaton M90(rebuilt) for a decent price but the question I have is since I have the internal EGR is this an option? I have seen the one (weiand?) on explorerexpress and it wont work with the internal EGR and there is no way I could afford the $3800.00 anyway. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

zac - I think rocket just nailed it. It's not plug and play like I'm used to in the computer world.

You'll have success if..
1) you follow the instructions exactly when setting up.
2) don't try and use a gauge that isn't really made for it right off the bat.
3) don't try and change a setting when the LC1 is reading data. (yes, I tried...had to crawl under the truck; take the sensor out and reset)
4) when logging with livelink, remember to "apply the formula" everytime you start a new session. (think this is more of a livelink issue; not the LC1)

For the price it's very good and once you get use to it it's fine. I haven't had any other wideband experience so who am I to judge. Maybe just some pointers for you.

I'm a Manufacturing Engineer so we're allowed to not read instructions so we can be more productive (if it works) ;)

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

The LC-1 is not a bad wideband but it sure as heck isn't nearly as plug and play as some other widebands out there. If I had to list the items I do not prefer about the LC-1 I would say it would be the wiring involved and the ground offsetting. I suppose that is why the cost is what it is. Still, if a person is willing to put the time in then they are some pretty nice and accurate units. Once you understand them then they are pretty easy to operate.

So in your professional opinion, what is a good plug and play wideband, and wont break my pocket book anymore than it already is? Ease of installation might sway me to shelling out more $$.

So in your professional opinion, what is a good plug and play wideband, and wont break my pocket book anymore than it already is? Ease of installation might sway me to shelling out more $$.

For the regular end user I hear allot of good things about the Dynojet WBC and have heard good things about the AEM UEGO stuff. I haven't worked with the AEM stuff yet but should be installing an AEM wideband and boost controller in the next few days for a customer so I will be able to get a better personal idea then.

Another item for clarification is do you mean plug and play for just the wideband logging AFR into Livelink or do you mean that plus attaching an actual gauge inside your vehicle too?

I have the AEM UEGO in my truck- it was really easy to install. My sensor is all the way back in my tailpipe though :) That way I see what James sees when he connects his two sensors in there...

Here is how my gauges are mounted. I am not a fan of pillar gauges.

IM000043Large.jpg

For the regular end user I hear allot of good things about the Dynojet WBC and have heard good things about the AEM UEGO stuff. I haven't with the AEM stuff but should be installing an AEM wideband and boost controller in the next few days for a customer so I will be able to get a better personal idea then.

Another item for clarification is do you mean plug and play for just the wideband logging AFR into Livelink or do you mean that plus attaching an actual gauge inside your vehicle too?

I want to display A/F and boost on the LW. The only gauges I want are Tranny temp and engine oil pressure. Those i would like for towing purposes but my truck right now is not set up to tow, so that will come later. If the LW will display 6 parameters then I want to take advantage of that and not be cluttered with guages everywhere.

I have the AEM UEGO in my truck- it was really easy to install. My sensor is all the way back in my tailpipe though :) That way I see what James sees when he connects his two sensors in there...

Here is how my gauges are mounted. I am not a fan of pillar gauges.

IM000043Large.jpg

Actually I was planning on a pillar mount but I like your installation. Is that the stock center console piece your gauges are mounted to? Mine is similiar but has a storage area where your gauges mount. Thought about putting a piece of sheet metal over the top to mount guages like your setup. But I like the storage. I should just pull the CD changer out since I never use it anyway

I think tommorrow i will head down to my local SCT dealer with my Livewire in hand. I,ve been playing with Livelink and I'm just not getting it. Plus I dont have a laptop. My wife says I have enough computers, and dont need another one. They have a dyno also and it would be nice to get some numbers on my truck before the S/C goes on so I can make a comparison later.

Well, no progress on the Explorer today. My wife had quite a list of "to do" things for me. And it didnt rain today so I had "to do" them.
So i thought I would put up a few pics because I am to tired to work but I can type.

Thought I would show my engine as it is now. The MAC intake may go up for sale when I have no more use for it. It will go cheap and will include the unused air filter from the supercharger kit. Good news is I get 75% off Fed Ex shipping so that cost would be minimal.
I threw in a pic of my 1" intake spacer. Thought it would be nice to add another 1/2" spacer but the back of the upper intake is right against the firewall and hooking up the PCV is quite a chore for me.

For those inerested I have a pic of the supercharger kit. Well the big parts anyway. Not shown are the pulleys and attaching hardware. The Lightning MAF and injectors ar also shown. The intake filter wrapped in plastic will go with the MAC intake.

Can some one tell me how to add text between pictures? I cant figure it out.

Oh, and finally my fuel pump is on the way. Bought it at Expressfuel pumps.com. Apparently their under new ownership and my order got lost in the paperwork shuffle.

Attachments

• MAF.jpg
    MAF.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 363
  • Sapcer.jpg
    Sapcer.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 377
  • SC Kit.jpg
    SC Kit.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 375
  • L-MAF.jpg
    L-MAF.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 366

Where did you source the intake spacer, and what bolts came with them? I'm thinking of a 1/2" or 3/8" spacer, but I want the right bolts and most all of the kits are for Mustangs. The Explorer intake bolts are longer than Mustang bolts.

Where did you source the intake spacer, and what bolts came with them? I'm thinking of a 1/2" or 3/8" spacer, but I want the right bolts and most all of the kits are for Mustangs. The Explorer intake bolts are longer than Mustang bolts.

The 1" spacer was from Summit Racing P/N TFS-51520020. The long bolts that come with it are way to short. Go to Fastenal.com. They have, or can get any bolt size or length you need. The stock long bolts are 6 1/2" and the one's that came with the spacer are 6 7/8". When you do the math it's obvious they are to short. No hardware store around here has the bolts long enough. I searched. It was on this forum that I came across Fastenal. It so happens there is one about 2 miles from my house. I just called them and told them what I needed and picked them up the next day. I dont want to steer you wrong about the length and thread pitch. Best to pull one and measure it yourself. However,and I this is only an estimate, they are 5/16" and 7 1/2" long. You will need 4 of them. The short bolts work fine.
Another thing is after installing the spacer one of the coil pack mounting points has to be modified. Actually in me case not used. It will hit on the upper intake so all i did was put the mount in a vise and bend the mounting bolt hole 90 degrees till it cleared the intake manifold. I couldnt seem to get a picture of it. It's pretty well buried.

Like i said earlier, it would be nice to put another 1/2" spacer on there, which you can get but not sure if Summit carries it. The firewall is my main concern. The 1" spacer puts the intake up against the firewall and there are connections you need to make behind there. Hooking up the PCV valve was a challenge. No way to see what your doing, it's all by feel.

Attachments

• dcp_0525.jpg
    dcp_0525.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 361

Sorry, I wasnt thinking when i read your post. If you want a 1/2" or 3/8" spacer, then if the long bolts that come with it are not long enough you may be able to find them at a hardware store. Personally I think the1" spacer is the way to go. It really lifts that upper intake away from the lower and away from the heat.

Hmm,
I think Techieman33 and tekman05 bought 1" spacer kits with the right bolts-it was all in one box when we installed them.

Maybe a different vendor? Mines from Trick Flow and obviously the thickness of the spacer will dictate the length of the bolt needed. So if it is 1/2" then (just the 4 long bolts) need to be 1/2" longer then stock.

For the 1/2" FRPP GT40 spacer kit, I substitued bolts that were made for the 5.0 Ex throttle body elbow. They are just long enough. For the 1" spacer, you might have to contact a specialty fastener company.

This is the only decent pic of the 1" spacer. The bolts holding it in place came with the spacer and their length was fine.

Hopefully I can say good bye to those 19# injectors and put in my 42's.

Attachments

• dcp_0529.jpg
    dcp_0529.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 366

I suggest that you go to an AWD dyno if at all possible. The AWD trucks don't perform quite as well with the front shaft out, some of the power is lost through the output shaft still. I have my front shaft out now till I swap to 4WD, my truck does not pull like a 2WD truck.

I enquired about the AWD dyno and it,s not very local to me and more $$$'s. Even running my truck in 2 wheel drive should'nt affect the tuning process, right? The real world numbers may not be there but the convenience and cost would. As long as it poses no harm to the drivetrain, that is the route I would prefer.

It is believed to be okay to drive it without the front shaft. No one has mentioned spending any time on a dyno like that yet. I don't think that it will do any harm, the viscous coupler should just try to keep the front output at the same speed as the rear. The tuning will turn out well that way in any case.

My thread seems to be dying out. Not a whole lot of responses lately. I think people want to see progress, and believe it or not it is there. Mainly the issue is parts. Getting everything together so I can accomplish my goal efficiently. I dont have an option for extended down time on the truck, so just making sure I have everything is my priority. Several parts are ordered and enroute. It looks like a week or so to get all of them. Once i do I am hoping to have the truck up and running in less than a week from that point.

Very good, I am in the same boat. I have a lot of parts coming, going, and much to do before my swap.

June 1st,

I was hoping to have the supercharger up and running sometime this month. I'm still optimistic that I can get it done.
Parts are trickling in. Need to fabricate a couple minor things but dont see a problem there.
The AWD dyno is another thing. There are 3 that I know of that are fairly close. 2 of them are for the business to test thier own products and not available to the public. The other one wont return my phone calls
or e-mails and that just puts a bad taste in my mouth. I dont deal with businesses that cant reply to a potential customer, so their out.
Leaves me with a two wheel dyno. Very friendly staff and close by. Thats a business I prefer to deal with.
The weather is supposed to cooperate for the next couple days so i'll see what I can get done.

Back