Air ride suspension - help please! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air ride suspension - help please!

shytot4x4

Reaction score
City, State
West Yorkshire, UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
Not got an Explorer now..
The 'Air ride' system has not worked on my UK '98 Explorer since I bought it 2 years ago. After 30 minutes of constant running the 'Air Ride off' warning light illuminates and stays on until I next switch off the ignition. I've had my local Ford dealer look it over at service times but they have never been able to find a real fault. The latest they came up with was bad seals on the rear shocks.
Just recently I managed to acquire a bunch of parts from a wrecked Ex (I know that the air ride was working before the wreck). I have swapped out the shocks and all the components that live in the space above the rear axle - I dunno their correct names but I've swapped the compressor, the 2 rectangular recievers (or whatever), the actuator, the valve gizmo just down stream of the compressor and both rear shocks.
The system still does not work! Is there a fuse somewhere? The only mention of suspension in the fuse section of the handbook refers to a 7.5A fuse which also protects the heater and a bunch of other stuff that seems to be working OK.
Any ideas would be welcome!

TIA
Simon H
(Shytot4x4)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In addition to the above - Does anybody know where I can find a schematic diagram of the layout of the air ride components, just so I can double check that everything is piped up the correct way round and in the correct order? The UK version of Haynes is no use at all :(

TIA
:uk: Simon H
(Shytot4x4)

The only thing i can thing of is if the front lines are leaking somewhere or if the control box for the air ride it keeping the bleed valves open all the time for some reason. I can get you a wiring diagram of the air ride (at least for a US model, I assume the UK model is pretty close) but i don't think I have a schematic for the air line hook ups.

That would be great if you can find a wiring diagram :)
If I am reading the hand book correctly the system only operates when the truck is moving - is this correct? It's kinda difficult to check for leaking air lines on a moving vehicle! What might happen if I were to temporarily blank off the front lines (for test purposes)? Apart from the front air lines and shocks are there any other parts of the system that I might not have swapped? You mentioned a control box - where is it located?
Thanks for the help so far!

(Shytot4x4)

If you get that diagram HOOK ME UP TOO!!

Recently mine isn't lifting in the front much...

Have had exactly the same with my 97 for last 9 months. Although mine appeared to be working ok (you can hear the compressor running & see the back jack up/down when I hook/unhook my boat/caravan - with engine running). Last week I was checking the handbrake cable and I jacked the RH side rear up on the front rear spring shackle i.e the body was lifted up in the air and let the RH rear wheel/axle dangle down. The rear suspension height sensor is attached to the RH side of the axle and I think what I did stretched the sensor arm out to its full extent but low and behold from next day light has stayed off!. Somewhere there's a ride control computer, the switch in LH rear bay turns it on/off so its prob in the same area. Any other decent parts on that wrecked explorer (I've just paid £530 for the Bosh immobiliser module).

Pat
I got the parts from a bloke near Kidderminster. He was selling some Explorer bits on eBay - I bought a set of wheels & half-worn tyres for £100 and he let me have the air ride parts for just £20! (Ford UK want £350 for a pair of rear shocks!). Anyway, his eBay ID is samsheltie. I will send you his email and phone number by private message (If I can figure it out!)

(hytot4x4)

Well, I'm still trying to get my Air Ride to work...
One thing that I have picked up on from the hints and tips I've had from several people - I have NEVER heard the compressor running. I figured that it only ran when the truck was moving but it seems that the compressor should run when the truck is stationary - whilst being loaded with some heavy kit for example. Is this correct?
If so, maybe I've been looking in the wrong areas. Could some kind soul please let me know where to find the fuse(s) and relays connected to the ARC compressor on my '98 4.0 SOHC?

TIA
Simon H
(Shytot4x4)

Mine kicks on even if the truck is off when I load the back full of things. Or when I hook a trailer up. However if I put it in "off road" it will only lift the truck if its running. I don't know where the fuses are. I'm getting a ford service CD sometime this week. I'll see what I can find for you.

Definately should work at all times - hence warning messages about jacking up vehicle without Ride Level Control turned off. Ride control computer is triggered by door/tailgate being opened. When they are opened computer stores current settings of sensors. When they are closed computer checks current settings against stored settings they adjusts level. When I open tailgate and connect boat then shut tailgate the compressor will start up. Reverse happens when I disconnect boat (think compressor pumps 'down' the suspension). Will see if I can track fuse positions later.
Pat McMaster.

pmcmaster said:
When I open tailgate and connect boat then shut tailgate the compressor will start up. Reverse happens when I disconnect boat (think compressor pumps 'down' the suspension). Will see if I can track fuse positions later.
Pat McMaster.

That same exact thing happened when I put the boat I was towing on my back bumper. However when my air ride lowers itself it just bleeds off the air pressure with a hissing sound. Example is when I get to the camping spot of choice in the middle of no where (gota love that about X's wheeling) after I turn off the ignition 30-60 seconds it lowers itself back to stock hight (this is with my AWD ONROAD/OFFROAD switch) Then when I fire the truck back up it will raise again.

Simon
Might be a fuse in the block of fuses that are in side of door pillar but have you checked the compressor relay switch? its in the power distribution box in the engine bay (not sure which one as there's 3 or 4 relays that look the same - one nearest bulkhead is the fuel pump relay). Simple test is with engine running, select neutral, turn 4x4 selector to 'High', ARC should automatically lift suspension up 1 inch.
Pat McMaster.

Pat
I have checked the fuses in the panel by the door pillar. The driver's handbook is a bit vague but it does list one of the fuses as being associated with the suspension but that one is OK and according to the book it 'protects' a whole bunch of other stuff that IS working. I will investigate the relays when the weather improves or when there's room in the garage.
One thing is for sure - the suspension does NOT lift when in 4X4 high or 4X4 low, engine running or not.
Thanks for the help so far!

Cheers
Simon H

Im having the same problem. After about 20 mins into my drive the air ride light comes on. However I can still hear the air ride working sometimes and see the back going up. Somone told me to post the OBD 2 codes for this problem, I have no idea if the computer stores any codes for the air ride?
One things for sure.... UK Explorers will not lift the air ride if you put it into 4X4 HI or 4X4 LO.... Only the US ones can do that.

Im guessing I will e-mail that guy you were talking about on Ebay. I am not going to Ford for any parts as they have no idea what that are talking about here in the UK.

But yeah im not going to pay ford 80 pounds GBP just for some guy to come out and plug a simple unit into my truck to get a code that might not even be there.

Have any of you guys worked this out?

Thanks
Tom

Hello Matt H. where is the offroad switch on your AWD 302 Explorer? Have you been in any other Explorers to comment on the ride quality of the Ford air shocks, versus the Bilsteins that most people like? I like my Edelbrock's, but if I am keeping this Mountaineer, then I would rather have the best shock's.

I recall a test drive of a 1995 Limited V6, years ago, and it was very nice.
Thanks,
DonW

Smokegrinder, thanks for the info on UK xp's not jacking up when engaging 4x4 - I had assumed that mine was not working because of the 'light on' fault. My light's been coming on for over a year now usually after about 10-12 miles of continuous running but seems to stay off longer if I'm running below 60mph. As I said in prev message the only time it stayed off was after I had jacked up the rear end and let the rear axle 'dangle' at full stretch but it came back on again after 3 or 4 days. Given that the apparent fault reset's itself when the ignition is turned off I'm sure it's the ARC computer esp as I've been told (if you can believe anything a Ford dealer tells you!)that the computer takes account of speed in its suspension settings, this might account for my feeling that the light stays off longer if I keep below 60mph. Note that three of us with this problem are UK XP's, is this a problem with export versions?. Regards Pat McMaster.

Thanks everyone for keeping this going. I think one of the problems in the UK is that NOBODY at ANY Ford dealer knows how these things work! It's probably a dead easy fix like a bad relay or fuse but I have tried 2 local Ford dealers and they have been completely stumped - they simply don't know where to start! And after throwing away well over £200 (GB Pounds) on this problem I have given up!
One thing though - I am sure my UK drivers handbook refers to the 2 inch lift when in 4X4 Low. And my front shocks DO have airlines attached.
Could someone in the know please let me know which relay supplies voltage to the compressor? I guess it's in the auxilliary supply box located sort of below and behind the air filter box? But which one?
It would be nice to get this fixed sometime ;)

Cheers
Simon H

Simon, I have not done any research into the air systems yet, so I am obviously not sure of anything. I will be looking into it after I swap bodies on my work vehicle.

You might seriously consider buying some DVD's through Ebay that are similar to the dealership DVD service manuals. I bought a set last year, and I have just started to appreciate them. I don't think you will find very clear explanations about the logic of any circuits. But you should be able to find the locations of most all of the connectors in the vehicle, and lists of all of the wires going into all of the connectors.

There is also an auxilliary relay box in the left quarter panel. I don't know if there is room for an optional relay for those. I just beagan gutting the interior of my donor vehicle, a 99 Limited 4x4.

If you compile a list of the locations of the air suspension components, it would be helful to others if you listed them here also. Good luck, :cool:
DonW

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im going to try and get a set of DVD's from E-bay then because I am having the exact same problem as Pat McMaster. I have been to Ford and they said they would have to replace the shocks and the sensor in order to get the system working again. Im not happy with that and I dont think I need to do that at all. We should really have another UK meet and talk about problems like this.
Dont go to ford, they cant even get a small bit of trim for my explorer!!!!!

Im going to e-mail some people and ford dealers in the states and ask about this problem. Does anyone know if the air ride light will give a computer code if a OBDII reader is connected?

Tom.

Back