Air ride suspension - help please! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Air ride suspension - help please!

Tom
The first time I got the Ford dealer to look at my problem they said they had 'Checked the codes, replaced a fuse and reset the computer'. Not that it made any difference...
The next time they diagnosed it as 'Leaking seals on the rear shocks...'
As I mentioned earlier I swapped a whole bunch of components with known-to-be-working 2nd hand parts, including the rear shocks. Not that it made any difference either...
The more I think about this the more I'm led to believe I have a fairly basic power supply problem - I have NEVER heard the compressor running in the 2 1/2 years that I've had the truck. When it's loaded up with all my disco & karaoke gear the rear end sits 2 1/2 inches lower than when unladen. (I have a lot of disco gear!)
I really must get around to locating those relays and fuses...
And when I get it sorted I will have a few Air Ride components for sale which might help out some of the other UK members...

Cheers
Simon H

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't know how close you may be to another like Explorer owner, but often times the best way to find the problem, is to swap parts. You may be able to swap known good parts on, to confirm that a part is also good, or to point you to another possibility.

A good friend of mine and I own Mark VII's, with air springs. We have over two wrecked Mark VII's that we parted out, so we can fix our problems without paying Lincoln repair prices. Good luck,
DonW

9 Times out of 10 You have leaky shocks. They don't make the shocks with the built in sensors/selinoids any more (sucks my opinion) but I got some that work from Ford. After replacing the shocks no problems what so ever.

The used shocks I fitted were known to be working on the donor vehicle. They were removed as a pair with the inter connecting airlines and valves intact. They had been off the vehicle several months but when I disconnected the airlines there was still plenty of air pressure in the shocks. A lot more than I expected - I got quite a surprise!
I fully accept that there might be a leak in the front shocks..
But as I have said before - I have NEVER, NEVER heard the compressor running. EVER!

Simon H

Power Supply

I have actually had the ride control warning light come on when my battery was almost dead. Maybe it is a power issue.

...a power issue...

That reminds me. Does anybody know the exact locations of the fuses and relays associated with the compressor. Haynes is simply not up to the job on this one.
I'm tempted to 'force' the compressor to work by running a 12 volt feed directly to it, just to see what happens...

Simon H

Hello Simon, I have just started to research the system myself. I learned what I could from my DVD's, and a very helpful member here, 1996Limited.
I have paid for the whole system from a 98 Explorer, so I'll have a big pile of parts soon.

There are two fuses in the power distribution box, next to the master cylinder. There is one main relay, and it's in the aux. #1 relay box. That relay box is under the air cleaner.

To find them, you need to see a diagram of those two relay boxes. That would be on the underside of the cover of the power distribution box, and an owners manual would be able to point you to the main relay. Good luck,
DonW

Back