• Register Today It's free!

AirMax vs. Volant Intakes?

Mtn8er

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
98' Mountaineer 5.0
Hi, I'm new to this site and had a question for everyone. I drive a 98' Mercury Mountaineer 5.0L and I currently have an Airmax Spiral Flow intake system with a K&N Air Filter. I also have a PowerAid throttle body spacer. I like my setup but for some reason I like that box that the air filter is in from Volant because it protects the filter from heat and dirt. With my current setup my air filter is just out in the open. It has a heat shield but I'm always wondering if it's actually working. Anyways, I've heard a lot of good things about the Volant Cold Air intake system and I'm thinking about selling my setup and buying a Volant. I was wondering if someone could tell me how i can put a custom volant system in my Mounty since Volant doesn't make them for the 5.0L. I just need to know what parts I need to buy or any custom things I need to do in order for it to work. Also what are your opinions on the 2 intake setups. Hopefully someone can help me out, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How does the airmax work for you? It's the only intake I can find for the 5.0, how much did it cost you? thanks

I like it, there's nothing wrong with it but I like the looks of the volant that's why I'm trying to see if there's a way you can customize one to make it work for the 5.0L. For the AirMax I think I paid around $250 for it. With that and my throttle body spacer though it definitely makes a nice sound when you really step on it. I'll post some pics of it on here maybe tomorrow.

do TB spacers actually do something on 5.0 engines?

Yeah it gave it a little more power I thought, I remember after I put that on though it sure made a nice sound.

Back