• Register Today It's free!

Alarm

Dennis Myers

Reaction score
City, State
Montgomery, IL 60538
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Sport
With all the stuff I have done to my truck I am thinking about putting in an alarm and I was wondering if anyone has an alarm and what they tink about it.

------------------
94 Sport
4" Superlift
Super Runner Steering
Super lift radius arms
Borla Headers and cat back
High Flow Cat
KKM intake
63 mm Throttle Body
70 mm Mass Air Sensor
Ramsey REP 8000
Smitty Built Tubes Front Rear and Nerf
BFG 33x12.5 AT's

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think we discussed alarms in detail a while back under the thread "Explorers Vioalted!" but I'll give you my thoughts on the subject anyway. I think an alarm is a great feature and no car/SUV worth anything should ever be without one. Most alarms nowadays come with the start kill function, so when the alarm is going off the car can not be started, either with a key or hot-wiring it. They can steal your stereo, steal your CD's, steal some tools from the back, but they won't be able to steal the most expensive thing and that of course is the vehicle itself. Of course a pro will find a way around this starter kill, hey its what they do for a living right? but if it keeps some kid who wants to take my modified Explorer for a joy-ride, it'll prevent him from doing so and that makes it worth the $200 or whatever a good alarm costs (my current Explorer came with an alarm pre-installed). Also in most states you have comprehensive insurance coverage (as I do) having an alarm w/starter kill reduces your insurance rates, and they wouldn't reduce your insurance rates if these cars were stolen the same amount. There have been numerous studies that show that a car thief will walk by and if he sees the flashing red light, unless your car is something he really wants to use his time stealing, he'll just pass on to the next car WITHOUT the alarm - it's much easier to steal and dont' ahve to worry about the vehicle not starting, etc. One day cars will come with Retina scanners or fingerprint scanners which prevent anyone other then those authorized from driving vehicles, you might think I'm crazy but you know I'm right. I just hate the idea of someone stealing my Explorer and because it is so high and highly modified, etc. it doesn't really "blend in" with the cars around it, which helps and hurts, at least if they say on the news "looking for a hi-jacker who stole a modified black explorer with 4 sets of aftermarket lights, oversized tire, custom rear bumper, winch on the front, PIAA and Mickey Thompson logos, etc. it sounds more descriptive then "a blue honda accord, 91-94, possibly a hatchback"... you get the idea Dead Link Removed. I'd say get one and get all the features you can, but I like alarms, others don't Dead Link Removed.

------------------
Matt Adams
94 Explorer 4-door nick-named "Tippy"
http://bart.is-s.com/~explorers/explorer/explorer.html

Matt,
Thanks for the reply I will read the other thread. I am going to put in an alarm I just have not decided what brand or features I want yet, still reading up.

------------------
94 Sport
4" Superlift
Super Runner Steering
Super lift radius arms
Borla Headers and cat back
High Flow Cat
KKM intake
63 mm Throttle Body
70 mm Mass Air Sensor
Ramsey REP 8000
Smitty Built Tubes Front Rear and Nerf
BFG 33x12.5 AT's

IMHO The compustar alarm/remote start system is the best I have EVER used or installed. It takes a little longer to install and costs a bit more but NOTHING compares to it. It has a long range FM remote/reciever and 2way communication! The screen on the remote tells you the status of your car. You can set your alarm to silent and the remote will beep when the alarm goes off so you dont annoy your neighbors. Starts my car from my bed. My buddys bulldog remote start has the range of about 30 feet. He has to open the door to his house and stick the remote out to start his car (whats the point hehe) Also, my one controller controlls my Explorer and my 3000GT. You dont have to mess with valet switches and combinations of pressing the break pedal and putting the key in the ignition to change options, they are all on the remote. Check it out. http://www.compustar2w.com/

How much did you have to fork out for the CompuStar? I'm going to get one and was wanting to know how much to expect pay.

Justin "Skipp" Hoyer

------------------
93' Mazda Navajo
BF-Goodrich Trail T/A's

Back