Alignment Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Alignment Issues

swooper

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie Bauer
Help. I have access to an alignment machine and did an alignment on my 91. Caster was a little off and I had to turn the camber bushings on both sides to get the camber and caster within spec and similar on both sides. Adjusted the Toe as well, and now the car pulls to the right. Any idea what could be wrong. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you remember to leave a little bit of toe-in? Can't remember what the exact measurements are, but IIRC there's supposed to be a little toe-in. That might cuase the problem you are seeing.

Did you remember to leave a little bit of toe-in? Can't remember what the exact measurements are, but IIRC there's supposed to be a little toe-in. That might cuase the problem you are seeing.

No, I set both sides to 0 toe. Would this cause a hard pull to the right?

It could. I think that there is supposed to be some toe-in in order for it to "track" correctly. If the toe-in is 0 degrees, then the front tires will be pulling away from each other. If one of the front tires has better traction than the other, then that side will be pulling more. It will also cause more wear on the inside edges of your front tires, and also "cupping". Also, did you make sure that the steering wheel was straight before you adjusted the toe-in? I think that could also cause things to be "off" a little bit if the wheel wasn't straight before you did it. Good luck!

toe, as a general rule, should be 1/32 each side, toe in. i helps with highspeed stability mostly
also, caster camber specs are differant for side to side... you will have to get the specs for your explorer, as they are differant from vehicle to vehicle

Put the Explorer on the alignment machine tonight and it was way off. Did everything again and the car no longer pulls...not sure what I did wrong the first time, but thanks for the help everyone.

Back