• Register Today It's free!

alignment problems

hiroshima1320

Reaction score
City, State
south west pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer V8 awd
Ok, so I put a right upper control arm on to replace a bent one. Nothing else bent that i could see on either side, and I looked thoroughly and I'm hoping the alignment guy did too. No loose parts. Everything looked good. It drove terribly, I knew it would need aligned. I took it to the alignment shop and the tech (I've never used this shop before I used to do all my own when I worked at a shop that had an alignment machine.) says its at 2 degrees negative camber and the adjustment is all the way out. So, logical next step, i tell him to crank the torsion bars. He says they wont move, they feel like the bolts may break. I tell him get it even on caber and caster, set the toe and give my back my truck. So, my question is, has anyone ever had this problem and got that much camber back from cranking the torsion bars? I have on chevy trucks, but not much experience one way or the other with fords. I know on the chevys you can crank them to a certain point then you start going back negative also... same deal with these trucks?

The tech brought me back to look, i had him take the factory fixed plates out and with the bolts turned all the way out where they were touching the outside of the slots, there was still the 2 degrees negative camber. I'll put it up on the lift at work this week and heat the torsion bar cams and bolts and get them free, maybe pull the bolts out and wire wheel them, crank them up amd take it back next weekend for another alignment. I dont want to have to open the slots up, I'm hoping cranking the torsion bars up will give me what I need.

If lifting gets you close to zero camber, are you going to level the rear?

Back