• Register Today It's free!

All kinds of new sounds

pteepee69

Reaction score
City, State
Lawrenceburg,Ky.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer XLT
It has been almost 5000 miles since my auto to manual tranny swap and maybe 300 miles since my lift and tire swap. I parked her until I figure out what is going on. Roar that gets worse every day from the front. Get under her and you can hear something in the tranny. I give up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Throwout bearing? Input shaft bearing? Does the noise go away when you push the clutch in? Did you check the plugs on the back of the shift tower? The factory rubber plugs will leak and the trans will run out of oil. Check the oil in the trans, I bet you might have toasted a bearing in the trans.

My 93 Superduty has a little internal roaring noise until you push in the clutch. But I think its the 281,000 hard towing miles that has contributed to the noise!

When I did the manual swap I did a complete rebuild. New bearings, new synchros, new input shaft. Which that doesn't mean a lot. I'm gonna say the roar is the bearings from the bigger tires. I'm going to check them first.

By the way, I love that front bumper with the winch. I have been looking for something like it. Custom?

Actually its a James Duff front bumper that I don't think they are making anymore. I bought it way back in 2001 when I first got that 2-door. The bumper is on my current wheeling rig now. Here is a better pic.

Unfortunetly, i rolled my 2-door on its side. They totaled it out and I bought it back. I still have it, and its awaiting being tubed, one-ton axles and a 5.0L. I bought this 4-door for $500 and transferred over most of the parts for a fairly cheap trail rig.

Attachments

• Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 282

After taking care of some things around the house, I made it to the Sploder. I started her up and got under her with the wife in the cab. When she pressed on the clutch the tumbling sound stopped. I wish you could hear the sound it makes, because it is hard for me to describe. The roar I get between 45 and 55 mph I will worry about later. I think the cheap Perfection slave and release bearing assembly was trash from the beginning.

Your "fairly cheap trail rig" Looks pretty good to me. I have a friend that I work with, we both wonder why we keep our Exploders. We both have come to the conclusion that working on them becomes addictive after awhile.

After taking care of some things around the house, I made it to the Sploder. I started her up and got under her with the wife in the cab. When she pressed on the clutch the tumbling sound stopped. I wish you could hear the sound it makes, because it is hard for me to describe. The roar I get between 45 and 55 mph I will worry about later. I think the cheap Perfection slave and release bearing assembly was trash from the beginning.

Yeah it is a shot in the dark on the non ford slave cylinders. It really sucks because now the trans has to come back out just for that one piece.

Your "fairly cheap trail rig" Looks pretty good to me. I have a friend that I work with, we both wonder why we keep our Exploders. We both have come to the conclusion that working on them becomes addictive after awhile.

That's why I refuse to get rid of mine, even with the engine down, I still have plans, and I might be getting another if the price is right. These trucks are addictive

Have you checked out the thread "you know you're an explorerholic"? It is pretty funny.

have you checked out the thread "you know you're an explorerholic"? It is pretty funny

No sir I haven't, but I did try searching and had no luck. I also noticed that it looks like you have moved. Didn't you use to have Ft. Campbell in your name tag?

I drove her to work the last two days and today it was very bad sounding. She is parked until I drop the tranny to be sure what is going on.

No sir I haven't, but I did try searching and had no luck. I also noticed that it looks like you have moved. Didn't you use to have Ft. Campbell in your name tag?

I drove her to work the last two days and today it was very bad sounding. She is parked until I drop the tranny to be sure what is going on.

The thread is under "exploring everything under the sun" and I just bumped it to the top of page 1. It took me a minute to find it.

Yes my location used to say Ft. Campbell, KY. I retired from the Army in February after 11 years, I have medical issues that prevented me from staying in any longer.

I am from Oklahoma, so we moved back.

After taking care of some things around the house, I made it to the Sploder. I started her up and got under her with the wife in the cab. When she pressed on the clutch the tumbling sound stopped.

This sounds exactly like the condition my Superduty has. As soon as the clutch pedal is depressed the noise goes away. I think its the mainshaft bearing(s), because the sound goes away when the trans spins to a stop.

The pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel and spins with it while the engine is running. Your throwout/release bearing will always turn with the pressure plate/flywheel assy, because it is pushing the release fingers of the pressure plate. The friction disc will stop because it is physically splined to the trans input shaft. The friction disc will never contact the release bearing unless something really bad happens inside there!

My trail rig was built for about $2200 bucks, including the vehicle cost. The tires were the most expensive part ($1300 including a spare), everything else was just lying around. I guess that just an advantage of collecting so much of this stuff (junk) over the years. Its a great vehicle for the cost, and fairly capable. It still retains the factory 3.73 gears and limited slip rear axle, but goes everywhere I want it to. Now if I could just dig up a 44 and some lockers...

Well, I took the tranny out. The throwout on the slave is smooth as silk. No rough places, no noise. When you spin the main shaft you can feel a rough spot in it. 5000 miles on it since my rebuild. I still don't have the clutch and pressure plate off yet. But I may owe an apology to the makers of the slave and throwout bearing. I have a video with the sound it is making but I guess the file size is to big. I can't upload it. The way it feels and sounds I would say main bearing in front of tranny.

My attempt at adding a video with the sound from the tranny.

Looking in with the shift rail removed
DSCN1122 (800x600).jpg

Countershaft removed
DSCN1125 (800x600).jpg

I would say those missing teeth would come in handy. I read in a PDF from Southwest Gear that if your tranny shows any sign of overheating and you replace the input shaft than you should replace the countershaft. I did not do that and this is the price I pay. When I rebuilt the tranny the pocket bearing between the input and output shafts was welded to the output shaft and the plastic oil slinger on the front of input shaft was melted. If you look closely at the countershaft below the gear with missing teeth you can see how discolored it is from heat.

Got my new countershaft in on Monday. Disassembled the tranny, put in new gear, cleaned everything else inside the tranny to remove any metal leftovers from the missing teeth. Reassembled. Also replaced pilot bearing and slave/throwout assembly while I was at it. Now have the tranny back in the truck and hope to be able, sometime today, to finish putting everything else in and take it for a drive.

Finished putting her back together. With my wife's help, bled the slave and bled the slave. My reason for doing so is the pedal is a lot softer than it was before. Took her for a ride. Everything is good. The tranny is even a little quieter than it was before the teeth came off the cluster. The only complaint I have is the clutch pedal. Before, the pedal was a little stiffer, and the pedal was about halfway up before gears engaged. Now the pedal is softer and only comes up about an inch or two before engaging gears. We bled the slave again this morning, no air, no difference in the pedal. What is normal for pedal travel and gear engagement?

Back