All Metal Radiator | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

All Metal Radiator

What do you use, when a radiator is not available for your car? And those aluminium radiator are available as a replacement. The car has a turbo.
Check places like Summit Racing. The major radiator companies used to make custom radiators to your spec when I was in the business. Not sure if that service is still available. If you have a radiator shop in your area check with them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The main reason I am looking for an all-metal one is, to avoid the plastic tanks. The price I linked above is even lower than that of plastic-aluminum one.
Check out the Car Id web site. I got mine from a Ford dealer in Texas using them. . Not always but more often than not price will reflect quality.

Check places like Summit Racing. The major radiator companies used to make custom radiators to your spec when I was in the business. Not sure if that service is still available. If you have a radiator shop in your area check with them.
I look everywhere, there use to be a local shop in my area, but he retired closed. I found a radiator shop over a hour away, who gave me the run around, then there a shop who farm it at to a shop two states away who pick up once a month. the Mileage & cost too drive and the cost to ship. Who are major radiator companies, who make radiator to spec?
I found a off the shelf radiator ($134), same radiator body size, but it was a left handed versus right handed which I used. The total cost when installation was completed $400. I had to add supports too the radiator mounts, modify the mounting ears for the cooling fan. Come up with new radiator hoses and it now works great.
My question too you is. What are my chances of stripping the Core out of the New radiator and tank rubber gasket and Installing the old plastic tanks too the new core. It sure look Like it would work?
I was thinking about giving it a try.
In California there a radiator shop on every other street corner. From my searching.

I look everywhere, there use to be a local shop in my area, but he retired closed. I found a radiator shop over a hour away, who gave me the run around, then there a shop who farm it at to a shop two states away who pick up once a month. the Mileage & cost too drive and the cost to ship. Who are major radiator companies, who make radiator to spec?
I found a off the shelf radiator ($134), same radiator body size, but it was a left handed versus right handed which I used. The total cost when installation wss completed $400. I had to add supports too the radiator mounts, modify the mounting ears for the cooling fan. Come up with new radiator hoses and it now works great.
My question too you is. What are my chances of stripping the Core out of the New radiator and tank rubber gasket and Installing the old plastic tanks too the new core. It sure look it would work?
I was thinking about giving it a try.
In California there a radiator shop on every other street corner. From my searching.
Godan radiator inc is the the company I used to do business with. It was two big companies that merged. One was G&O the other Danial Radiator company. I did a lot of custom work back in the day. The way it used to be done, I would figure up a core dimension, tell them how many rows of tubes I wanted, How many FIP (fins per inch) louvered or not. These were almost always Brass tanks and Lead cores. Always made sure the header length and width was compatible with available tanks. It was not a simple task.
I would say you could put the old tanks on the new core. Invest in the crimping tools and clamps to do it right. I'll post a few pics of the tools needed in a few minutes. You may be able to get away without the tools but clamping and using the proper crimping tool will insure even pressure all the way around the header.

Here's is what I used to use. The crimping plier with the blue handles has a hook for prying the tabs up. Both can be adjusted for how much crimp.

Radiator Shop Tools & Supplies

I actually used that catalog when it was new.. lol..

IMG_20221219_113442013.jpg IMG_20221219_115102128.jpg

Here's is what I used to use. The crimping plier with the blue handles has a hook for prying the tabs up. Both can be adjusted for how much crimp.

Radiator Shop Tools & Supplies

I actually used that catalog when it was new.. lol..

View attachment 437345 View attachment 437346
Thank you

I have an aluminum three row radiator & aluminum thermostat housing.
The radiator transmission oil cooler ports on mine were MUCH smaller than the oem plastic ones and are not plug-and-play - you'll have to fab up some lines as the stock 'push/lock' connectors wouldn't work. (May just be the manufacturer of the one I got... but be prepared.).

I have an all aluminum radiator as I was on my 3rd plastic one. You will need custom trans lines as previously stated. Here is what I did with mine.

WARNING: If you have one of the Chineseum aluminum radiators you MUST install an aftermarket transmission cooler!

Yes, you can fab up lines that work... just like I did... BUT, the internal transmission cooler lines are MICROSCOPIC in comparison to the oem transmission cooler.

What does that mean?

It means you will cook your transmission, and I do mean COOK the transmission. There is just not enough flow through those tiny ports to cool anything! (I tried to communicate this with the seller... but instead of 'communication' they just sent me another pair of the metric fittings. Yeah, that fixed it:rolleyes:... not.)

If you upgrade to an aluminum radiator (especially from eBay) then IGNORE those tiny, metric cooler ports (insufficient to cool anything!) and install an aftermarket transmission cooler at the same time.

Beats walking.
(Ask me how I know...)

Back