All Terrian tire noise or bearing? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

All Terrian tire noise or bearing?

sze kan

Reaction score
City, State
Philippines
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2012 3.5L V6
hi all,
when i got the car (second hand), i immediately changed the tires to TOYOMOTO 265/50/20. A/T (All Terrian)
since then i can constantly hear humming or light roaring noise when driving between 10-30miles. It gets slightly louder when i am decreasing the speed/applying brakes or turning. at higher speeds, the noise remains the same or decreases. I went to many mechanics and they did the physical test (moving the wheels up and down and sideways) and said that the bearing looks in good shape.
can All terrain tires give this sort of noise? also whats the best way to test it? the tires are under 200miles used now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All Terrain tires can definitely cause more noise. If this issue started as soon as you installed these tires, I would think that they are the source of the problem. I notice that when I have my Winter tires on they make only a little bit of noise but the noise becomes more noticeable when making a tight turn. At first I thought that it may be bearing related but when I put the OEM tires back on there is no noise at all when making the same kind of turn. I've had this happen for a few years now so I don't worry about anymore.
If your mechanics have said that the bearing seem to be good then the only way I can think of testing to see if is the tires is to put 4 non terrain wheels/tires on to see if the nose stops. Have you had the Explorer put up on a lift so that the tires can spin to see if there is a bearing noise?

Peter

Short answer, yes they can. Because I travel many off road areas with my Explorer, I always replace the standard tires with All Terrain tires. Currently I'm running Continental Terrain Contact tires. These replaced the stock Michelins. There is definitely more tire noise, especially on rough pavement. It's just a trade-off for having better traction in "all terrain" situations.

when installing, the tire had white lettering on one side of the wall. the installer actually put the white lettering side inside and now i am thinking if that could have created any problem? i dont see any marking as "this side out" or any "rotation" arrow tho.... but for the face that the white lettering is on one side doesnt it mean that side should be out?

also the pattern on all the 4 tires are exactly the same. which means that either one side of the car will have the patterns reversed..... shouldnt that matter?

when installing, the tire had white lettering on one side of the wall. the installer actually put the white lettering side inside and now i am thinking if that could have created any problem? i dont see any marking as "this side out" or any "rotation" arrow tho.... but for the face that the white lettering is on one side doesnt it mean that side should be out?

also the pattern on all the 4 tires are exactly the same. which means that either one side of the car will have the patterns reversed..... shouldnt that matter?
If the tires are non directional it should matter. There was a time when whitewall tires were popular that some owners had the whitewall turned to the inside.

Peter

I don't see any marking on the tires that say if they are directional or not

I don't see any marking on the tires that say if they are directional or not
If there are no markings then they are non directional. As far as I know, only directional tires have a marking of some kind. In most cases you can also tell a directional tire by the tread pattern.

Humm then I think the tires are OK.. . Something which I noticed is that I can hear the noise when windows are rolled up.... With windows rolled down, I can't really hear the noise...

Back