All you need to know about keyless entry | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

All you need to know about keyless entry

I just want to say thanks for this info. I just got a Mountaineer last night and this site has helped me with two problems on it. I will be upgrading my account soon as I am done typing this!

OH, before you take the rear cover off to look for the number, check your owners manual case. After I pulled the panel and got the number I found the card with the number on it in my case. OOF

Thanks again!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Having trouble with the FOB programming...

Hello,

I have a 1997 Ford Explorer XLT and I've purchased two FoMoCo keyless entry FOBs because I have lost my original FOBs.

When I try doing the Off-to-On ignition cycling, after cycling to 'On' for the 5th time, the locks will lock then unlock as if it has entered the programming phase. When I continue to the 8th 'On' state, the locks do nothing, but if I continue to the 10th 'On' state, again the locks will lock and unlock. For each successive On-Off iteration, I attempted to program a FOB by pressing the Lock button. According to the instructions, I should expect the doors to lock and unlock after pushing a button on my FOB, however this does not happen.

To summarize the scenarios I've attempted:

For all scenarios, I first started the car w/ doors closed and unlocked.

On-Off 5 times results in doors doing a Lock/Unlock but pushing FOB button does nothing
On-Off 8 times results in doors doing a Lock/Unlock at cycle number 5, but not at cycle number 8. Pushing FOB button does nothing
On-Off 10 times results in doors doing a Lock/Unlock at cycle number 5 and at cycle number 10. Pushing FOB button does nothing

Has anyone encountered this before? I'm checking the batteries in the FOB to verify that its still good (but I'm near certain its a good batter).

[UPDATE] I tested the battery with a Volt Meter. The battery is good.

Hey thanx a lot this has been driving me nuts.Since my driver door wont unlock all the time.

how to leave keys in the car and use keyless entry

I want to be able to leave my keys in the car and use the keyless entry to get in. I did this all the time on my 2006 explorer. My new 2011 explorer won't let me lock them in there. That's a great feature...but I have a keypad. So, when I lock it and shut the door, it unlocks. Is there a way to turn this off?

This is something I really needed to know as I just bought a '97 and the dealer didn't know the code....thanks!

I need to replace the RAP module on my 1996 Ford Explorer, does anyone know if this is difficult? I called the dealer and they are quoting a price of $250 for the part and labor, but I went online and can get the part for $85. It would save a lot of money if this is something I can do myself. Also, will changing the RAP change the factory code on my keyless entry panel? I know it comes with a code itself when you buy the new one, I just need to be sure that the factory code that is on the truck now will no longer work.

It figures that Ford dealers would charge a fee for merely popping the cover where that jack goes. Thanks for posting this info. Saved me some money since I bought a used explorer 2 months ago.

I went though every page and post of this thread and I seen the same question asked 3 times but never answered...

If an EX did not come with the RAP factory, what is involved to install it?

same boat

my ex never came with the rap but it has door electrics. i bought a used rap module and was going to have someone install it for me. of course i never did. i just went to an installer and had them install just keyless entry for me. 60 bucks well worth having that feature.

ty

How to find the Security Keyless Keypad Code on the 1995-2001 Ford Explorer or Mountaineer and how to use the Keypad functions.

When your vehicle was newly purchased from the dealer it came with a card in the owner’s manual packet that had the keypad code on it. The packet is often lost and/or discarded over time and as the vehicle trades owners the code to the Keyless Entry is lost. Ford Dealers wants some big money to get the code for you by plugging in their computer to retrieve the code or using the following method. Luckily there is a much easier and cheaper way for you to get the code and you do not need any tools or automotive knowledge. I’ll show you how and where to find the code and how to reset the Keyless Entry back to the factory code or your personal code number.

How to find the Security Keyless Keypad Code on the 1995-2001 Ford Explorer or Mountaineer and how to use the Keypad functions. The factory code is also printed on a label which is installed on the Remote Anti-theft Personality (RAP) Module. This is the module that controls the keyless entry system. It is located in the left rear quarter behind the removable panel (see photo). You will need to turn the two thumb screws counter clockwise and take the plastic panel off to be able to see the unit. A flashlight may be helpful in seeing the code. You are looking for the module and the 5 digit code on it like the one shown below.
View attachment 42920
View attachment 42921
Now that you’ve got the code I’ll tell you how to use the Keyless entry and set-up your own code.Make sure when pressing the controls on the keyless entry keypad you press the middle of the buttons to ensure good contact with the controls.
Programming your own personal entry code
1. Enter the factory-set code (keypad will illuminate when first digit is pressed).
2. Press the 1/2 control within five seconds of step 1.
3. Enter your personal 5-digit code. Enter each digit within five seconds of the previous one.
Your personal code does not replace the factory-set code. You can use either code to unlock your vehicle. Each time you set a new personal code the module will erase the previous one in favor of the new code. The factory-set code can not be erased.
Erasing your own personal code or a prior owners code and leaving only the factory-set code
1. Enter the factory-set code.
2. Press the 1/2 control within five seconds of step one 1.
3. Press the 7/8 and 9/0 controls at the same time within five seconds of step two.
The system will now only respond to the factory-set code.
Unlocking the doors with the Keyless Entry System
1. Enter either the factory-set code or the personal code (Each digit must be pressed within five seconds of the prior digit). The interior lights will illuminate as soon as the first valid digit is pressed.
2. To unlock all the doors, enter the factory set code or a personal code and press the 3/4 control within five seconds of the drivers door unlocking.
Locking the doors wit the Keyless Entry System
1. Press 7/8 and 9/0 controls at the same time. The 5-digit code does not have to be entered to lock the doors.
Deactivating/Activating Auto-lock
1. Enter the five 5-digit code.
2. Press and hold 7/8 control.
3. Press and release 3/4 control while holding 7/8 control.
4. Release 7/8 control.
The horn will chirp once if auto-lock was deactivated or twice if auto-lock was activated.
To program the hand held remotes:
Unlock all doors using the power door lock/unlock control. Insert a key and turn the ignition from the 1 (OFF/LOCK) to the 3 (ON) position and cycle between 1 (OFF/LOCK) and 3 (ON) eight times in rapid succession (within 10 seconds) with the eighth turn ending in the 3 (ON) position. The locks will cycle to confirm that the programming mode has been entered. Within 20 seconds, program a remote transmitter by pressing any button on a transmitter. The locks will cycle once to confirm that the remote transmitter has been programmed. (If more than 20 seconds pass before pressing a remote transmitter button, the programming mode will exit and the procedure will have to be repeated.) Repeat the previous step to program additional remote transmitters. NOTE: All fobs must be programmed on the same time for all fobs to work. The locks will cycle once to confirm that each remote transmitter has been programmed. When you have completed programming the remote transmitters, turn the ignition to the 1 (OFF/LOCK) position or wait 20 seconds. Again the doors will lock/unlock to confirm programming has been completed.

Wow thanks a bunch works perfect I even set a new code I'm brly a 3day owner of a 95 explorer and never thougt I used it was actally gonna shave it of but now I'm shopping for renewing the number. Pad thanks again! :D

The door mounted keypad doesn't work any more on my 2001. Wife was complaining that it didn't work for her several times, everytime I tried it it worked. Finally it doesn't work at all now. The keypad lights up when pressed most of the time so I figure the module is still working. I figure this could indicate a wiring problem. I know where the module is, had to find it to get the factory code years ago. Couldnt find in a search how to remove keypad. Anyone found a solution to the same problem.

Here is a picture with the panel removed completely.

What is that just to the left of the module? Looks like the Under The Hood fuse box but I;m sure it's not.

thanks

oh, btw I went to 3 of the local "U-Pull-it" bone yards today searching for the factory jack, handle, and shaft that lowers the spare tire to the ground but all were missing. I also need 2 of the 4 lug-nut covers. All of this is on my 1999 xlt.

The lug-covers are for the factory alloy wheels with that plastic coating on them. It's just ugly as a bowling shoe with out them. If you know of a good source for this please let me know.

Also if anyone is in need of the owners manual, I found a link on the ford motor co web site where you may download YOUR owners manual in PDF file format for FREE!

http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conte...clePage&BackToLogin=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage

Cheers All!

Thanks for the great post Xan. I just recently discovered this site as after 300,000 miles on my explorer it is starting to need minor repairs. i have had my x for about four 6 years now and thought the key pad didnt even work. wah hoo. now if i could find this darn vacuum leak.

99 xls

I got a 99 XLS without a remote transponder key got the theft light on my dash power locks no door keypad could i have keyless entry ? at this point im starting to think i dont have keyless entry or even a rap module (what ever that is ) if anyone can help please

Just bought my 98 Explorer and was wondering how to get the code. Thanks! Found it. And, for any others, take the black box out and then take the hex screw out of the RAP. makes for easier access to the code.

thanks so much , i was dying to use it!

Where can I find a replacement RAP module? Mine's not bad, but I need a new code for security reasons.

All fobs must be programmed on the same time

To program the hand held remotes:
Unlock all doors using the power door lock/unlock control. Insert a key and turn the ignition from the 1 (OFF/LOCK) to the 3 (ON) position and cycle between 1 (OFF/LOCK) and 3 (ON) eight times in rapid succession (within 10 seconds) with the eighth turn ending in the 3 (ON) position. The locks will cycle to confirm that the programming mode has been entered. Within 20 seconds, program a remote transmitter by pressing any button on a transmitter. The locks will cycle once to confirm that the remote transmitter has been programmed. (If more than 20 seconds pass before pressing a remote transmitter button, the programming mode will exit and the procedure will have to be repeated.) Repeat the previous step to program additional remote transmitters. NOTE: All fobs must be programmed on the same time for all fobs to work. The locks will cycle once to confirm that each remote transmitter has been programmed. When you have completed programming the remote transmitters, turn the ignition to the 1 (OFF/LOCK) position or wait 20 seconds. Again the doors will lock/unlock to confirm programming has been completed.

NOTE: All fobs must be programmed on the same time for all fobs to work.

I don't quite get this one. Right before All fobs must be programmed on the same time for all fobs to work it says: Repeat the previous step to program additional remote transmitters. What am I missing here?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back