almost overheating? now what? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

almost overheating? now what?

I am not happy. It finally quit raining long enough for me to take it apart (at my parents), only to find out they gave me the wrong thermostat. I am stuck here with no wheels to get the right one and I have class tonight. UGH!

So how was your day?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that sounds about right.......

Brian_B said:
I am not happy. It finally quit raining long enough for me to take it apart (at my parents), only to find out they gave me the wrong thermostat. I am stuck here with no wheels to get the right one and I have class tonight. UGH!

So how was your day?

Just put the housing back together, start it up, and fill the radiator. That'll at least let you go get your parts. You won't have any heat and it won't come up to operating temperature, but it'll run and you shouldn't hurt anything. I wouldn't recommend driving it like that for days at a time, but it'll work in a bind.

-Joe

Hmm...thats an idea. I didn't know you could run one without a t-stat (even for a little while). LOL I have ran them with just water briefly several times.

Thanks.

Brian_B said:
Hmm...thats an idea. I didn't know you could run one without a t-stat (even for a little while). LOL I have ran them with just water briefly several times.

Thanks.

Not a problem.... like I said, I wouldn't run it like that for an extended period of time, but to get you up to school, work, and the parts store, it'll be fine.

Also, I wouldn't run anything less than 30% antifreeze in the mixture, even for a short time. The ethylene glycol also acts as a water pump lube for the shaft bushing. Running straight water isn't good for corrosion either. Straight water with water-wetter in it is not a bad way to go either, but again, not for long, and especially if freezing temps are in the forecast. 30% antifreeze for a $6 bottle of it is well worth the money to prevent a deep-freeze. (I think 30% is good down to roughly 10 below zero or so)

-Joe

Ok, I have the correct one now. I don't have to drive it. Dad went to town after work for me. I will install tomorrow. I am getting ready for class now.

The parts guy said I had "an optional package" and mine is not the standard one. Its about 1/3 larger diameter (maybe 2 1/2" OD) than the one he gave me first time.

I assume he messed up, but was there a larger one in some option package? It would be interesting to know.

I bet he's just trying to cover up the fact that f'd up. It sounds like he gave you the thermostat for the 4.0 OHV, not the 4.0 SOHC. Had you not specified which engine you had, he should have asked.

There was only one cooling package attached to that engine.

I specified: 2001 ford explorer 4.0 liter single over head cam 4X4. I said each word, not abbreviations. He just messed up. I am so annoyed right now. I hate having to hitch a ride to and from school (in my office at the moment before class). Oh well....it will be fixed tomorrow. :)

Thanks again for all the advice.

I agree with GiJoeCam, they were handing you a line. Someone misread the computer listing. The t-stats are all about the same size except for some diesels.

Back