• Register Today It's free!

Almost ran out of gas today

BP_93explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Bedford, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Sport 2wd (GONE)
Took a u-turn under the highway and it started to die. Gas station was right there. $55 for 19.1 gallons. Guess I should get that gauge fixed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats scary when you figure first gens only have a 19gal tank..lol

i allways fill up at 1/4 just to be safe. glad you made it!

My gas guage works but I dont always take action when It gets to the red line, last time it ran out going downhill, coasted right into the gas station at the bottom of the hill and put 19.8 gallons in.

my gas gauge doesnt work either... I always fill up at 200ish miles city... usually fill up 14ish gallons

on the highway I usually fill up the first time around 200, calculate the mileage and then how far I can go on 18 gallons... and use that as a baseline distance on how often to fill up that trip.

on my 2nd gen the tank is supposed to be 20 but for whatever reason if i was wheeling(this was in september) and didnt look at the gas gauge pulled into the station and puit in 22 gallons....now how does that work......lol

SkanlaxJMO said:
on my 2nd gen the tank is supposed to be 20 but for whatever reason if i was wheeling(this was in september) and didnt look at the gas gauge pulled into the station and puit in 22 gallons....now how does that work......lol

95-01 4doors have a 21 gal tank ;)

^^i stand corrected....but still they hold a bit more then they are rated for.....

Anyone have a good fix for the bad gauge problem?? Mine is also bad and would like to get it fixed.. Thanks ahead of time!! :)

its usually due to the float having a hole, the threads i've seen about it just say replace the fuel pump assembly. it comes with the pump and float

someone else may want to elaborate, its late and i'm close to falling asleep

float

i just fixed mine. $6.00 float from ford. it's made of brass. took about 1.5 hours. feels good!!!!!!!

do you have the part no. of the float?

The float isn't always the problem. The float mechanism is designed to be like a variable resistor (like a TPS). It gets worn down from constant movement, and the fact that it is always submersed in gasoline all of the time doesn't improve its longevity either.

If your going to spend the time/energy to drop the tank to replace the float, why not replace the entire fuel pump assembly.. With murphy's law, when the pump does go, you will have a full tank and be nowhere near home.. Might as well change the pump on your terms, when you want to, instead of letting it dictate when to change it.

You should check to make sure that it is the float that is causing the issue. If I remember correctly, you can ground the sending unit wire near the tank and it should make your fuel gauge read full. If it doesn't you have a bad wire or a bad cluster or gauge instead of a problem in the tank.

~Mark

I just replaced mine. $60 for pump and float assembly. One thing I will tell you, check and see if you can get a new retainer ring when you do it. Mine was severely rusted and I had to reuse it since the new kit didn't come with one, and now when I fill up, if I go to far it overpressurizes and spills out. (19.8 gallons)

Also, after I replaced it it didn't read 100% correct. Its off on the high side a bit. Makes you think you are getting horribly crappy mileage, like75 miles on half a tank, but it now runs well under E (like40miles)

SkanlaxJMO said:
^^i stand corrected....but still they hold a bit more then they are rated for.....

I fit 24 gal in my 99 everythime i fill, the gas guage stays on f for a few days before it starts to move.

Back