Am I nuts to consider buying a used Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Am I nuts to consider buying a used Explorer?

xc600

Reaction score
City, State
Dearborn Heights, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer 4x4
Fairly new member here. I've owned three previous Explorers, all leases, and loved them. I'm now in need of a daily vehicle and am considering another Explorer, albeit a used one.
After reading about all the transmission specific problems they had in the time frame years I'm looking at, am I crazy to be considering one???
I'm looking for a 2006-09 model year one, but can't find much with less than 125k on the clock. I did however find an 04' with 67k on it that I might look at.
Should I even bother? Are these vehicles as bad as some sites say they are??
I've also owned Expeditions and have also had good luck with them. I was hoping to downsize to an Explorer though, but now I don't know....
Any comments?

Welcome!
My research showed up to 2001 and 2006 forward.
I own the 2001 XLT with the 5R55E transmission. It seemed that the issues for the 5R transmission didn't stop until 2006. Like most companies in this era, they tried to swap out most metal components with plastic ones. My personal theory is that in 2006 they fixed the problem after a 3 year run.

Of course when you look at total units sold in contrast to transmission failures for the 2002-2005 it's still a good deal. I see 2002-2005 Explorer everywhere.

Back