• Register Today It's free!

Ambient lighting

Raniani

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville, AR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
Is it possible to add the Ambient light that comes in the Limited on an XLT if I buy it separately?
Will it show on MyFord Touch after configuring it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

not sure about the MFT stuff, but yes it is possible to add it, Ford lists it in their accessories catalog and on the website, so it can be purchased and dealer installed.

if it can't be configured on MFT i'm assuming that the choice of color options will also be limited to one color when ordering? how else would it change? i couldn't tell on the accessory page, but if you purchased the "ambient lighting" package aftermarket, does it also come with the cupholders that have the ring of ambient lighting as well?

Not necessarily, it could just be button driven like on the Fusions, etc- my Mom's Fusion (2010) has ambient lighting, and the colors are changed just with each push of the button, as it doesn't have MFT.

if it can't be configured on MFT i'm assuming that the choice of color options will also be limited to one color when ordering? how else would it change? i couldn't tell on the accessory page, but if you purchased the "ambient lighting" package aftermarket, does it also come with the cupholders that have the ring of ambient lighting as well?

If not you could prob just order the cup holder from fordparts, I will check up on it for you and see tomorrow, I'll get back to ya.

Explorer Ambient Lighting

I think this was in a previous thread, but begs an answer. Has anyone ordered the ambient lighting package or had it installed after delivery? I'm curious if it is the complete package they would install at the factory, or if it is a "lite" version of it. Does it offer the color options? Do they flash the MFT for integration? etc......

~w1kedz

It was installed at the factory in my Limited and has 7 colors. not sure if anything was needed to be done once it was delivered to the dealership

It was installed at the factory in my Limited and has 7 colors. not sure if anything was needed to be done once it was delivered to the dealership

i thought the ambient lighting was standard on the limited? i know you can order the ambient packaging from Ford parts, but is it identical the what we see on the limited?

i thought the ambient lighting was standard on the limited? i know you can order the ambient packaging from Ford parts, but is it identical the what we see on the limited?

lol.. this is exactly my question... I have an XLT, I want to add ambient lighting option, will it be just like the limited's ambient lighting?

it is hard to tell what comes with it, if you follow this link you can see the "complete kit" but it is very vague even with the illustrations. Sorry I can not provide any more info on this, I will keep digging.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/C...HaGlzdG9yeQUEdHJ1ZbeJQwrDnn1brKWLK+LH7viyyDAr

According to ford accessory store it comes with everything including 1 LED for the cupholder area, and it allows for changing between the 7 colors. But it doesn't say if it integrates w/ the MFT for this option. I was more curious if anyone has actually had the kit installed after delivery on an ex or xlt

Looks like you can now order the ambient lighting when ordering your XLT(was upgraded this week). Also upgraded was the remote starter on XLT.

Looks like you can now order the ambient lighting when ordering your XLT(was upgraded this week). Also upgraded was the remote starter on XLT.

I noticed this too Jackey. I've been on the ford website building the 2011 Explorer since last August and every week since ~February. I saw they added more accessories recently and slightly updated the Build-Your-Car application in general.

Ambient Lighting...Is it Worth It?

I've seen some pretty remarkable photos (and some questionably photoshopped ones) of the ambient lighting offered in the Limited Ed. 2011 Ex. I couldn't afford the limited and went with the XLT instead, with only the upgrades that I could afford...but the ambient lighting part has me stumped.

Maybe I'm a sucker for pretty lights, maybe I grew up loving the batmobile, but from the pics it really does make the driver seat look like a ****pit from the future.

Understanding that I could buy the kit seperately and have it installed for ~$340, I asked my dealer about it and her reply was that it's a gimmick intended to appeal to 18-22 year olds and that it is not as vibrant as the pictures make it out to be. She said that it appealed really well to that age range in the Focus and so they kept it going in the Explorer. My quick reply was that if it was meant to appeal to 18-22 years olds, then why the hell is it only offered in the Limited edition. (Which I find really annoying)

What person in that age group is out buying Limited edition anything?

Anyhow, to all of you who have ambient lighting, what's it like? Are we missing out? Is it like driving the batmobile SUV? Is it worth looking into buying the kit and having it installed separately for all of us base and XLT owners, or is it as my dealer says, simply a gimmick?

Ford's had it in several vehicles now from the Mustang, to the Edge and now the Explorer. It's a cool feature if you like different color lights in the vehicle but it's not going to be extremely bright since it would affect you driving. I would say it's very subtle and you might get to the point where you won't really notice it much.

I had ambient lighting in my '05 Scion xB; honestly, after the first 6 months, i only ever turned it on when I had a guest in the car at night. Its not something I would go out of my way to get (it came installed on the only xB on the lot, and I needed a vehicle immediately).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Personally I really like it, one of the reasons I got the limited (besides the pushbutton start). It's done so much better in the Explorer than my wifes '10 Fusion Sport. I really doubt the aftermarket install from Ford is going to be as in-depth as what is offered in the limited. In the limited there are lights in the cupholders, footwells, lower door panels, center storage, rear controls and the interior door pulls. There may be more, but that's all I've noticed so far. I believe the add on kit only includes the cupholders and a couple lightbars for the footwells.

Back