• Register Today It's free!

Ambient lighting

sUnit

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Cadillac CTS
I know Fords before had the changeable ambient lighting. Does the 2020 Explorer (specifically the ST) have that? I couldn't find it in the order guide although I did see something about ambient lighting.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Per the order guide:

INTERIOR/COMFORT

● AmbientLighting

As far as changeable, I know on the Superduty's, they removed it on the 2019 MY so all you have is the ice blue. We don't know if Ford is following suit with the Explorer. I know FORSCAN will allow you to activate the multi color menu in sync 3 but the LEDs are missing in the SDs and have to replace them all.

Unfortunately that is all the order guide says.

The ST I test drove had all the Ambient Lighting choices in the setup menus with the ability to change colors and brightness.

I believe ambient lighting is standard across all trim lines. Lots of color choices and intensity from 0% to 100%. Here’s the owners manual description:
B4993B22-D0FD-4483-AB81-8964FBA57A78.png

Regardless of your color selection, the door lights change to red when opened.

I still see the feature in the manual, and I see everyone on this Forum saying that adjustable Ambient Lighting is standard on all Explorer trim lines, but on my 2021 Explorer XLT there is no icon on the Settings>Vehicle screen. Is it possible the adjustable Ambient was removed for 2021 XLTs?

I still see the feature in the manual, and I see everyone on this Forum saying that adjustable Ambient Lighting is standard on all Explorer trim lines, but on my 2021 Explorer XLT there is no icon on the Settings>Vehicle screen. Is it possible the adjustable Ambient was removed for 2021 XLTs?
Welcome to the Forum Mark. :wave:
The Manual when talking about Ambient Lighting does not say 'If equipped' leading me to believe it is standard.
It says to select Settings then Ambient lighting. It don't see where it mentions Settings/Vehicle.

1621635446489.png

Peter

Yeah, that is as far as I got too. The Ambient lights (and obviously the touchscreen icon) seem to be missing from the cabin. I searched for the multicolor LEDs in the cabin, and I searched for the icon on the touchscreen... no where to be seen! It appears to have been pulled from the XLT trim.

Which option package do you have Mark? Perhaps other members with an XLT and identical package can chime in.

Peter

Yeah, that is as far as I got too. The Ambient lights (and obviously the touchscreen icon) seem to be missing from the cabin. I searched for the multicolor LEDs in the cabin, and I searched for the icon on the touchscreen... no where to be seen! It appears to have been pulled from the XLT trim.
Was your ignition on when you looked? Mine is grayed if not. It is located under vehicle settings also even though the manual doesn't say that, at least on mine with the large screen.

Was your ignition on when you looked? Mine is grayed if not. It is located under vehicle settings also even though the manual doesn't say that, at least on mine with the large screen.
I have the 2021 XLT with Sport appearance package. From the main screen SETTINGS (bottom right of main screen), I get 3 screens of Icons, but NONE of them are Ambient Lighting. One of them is "Vehicle Settings", but on that screen no menu item at all for Ambient lighting. 8-inch screen. It is running Sync 3.4 build 21020.

The 2021 Ford Explorer Order Guide indicates Ambient Lighting is included only on Limited, ST, and Platinum models. Model Year 2021 Base and XLT Explorers do not have Ambient Lighting.

The 2021 Ford Explorer Order Guide indicates Ambient Lighting is included only on Limited, ST, and Platinum models. Model Year 2021 Base and XLT Explorers do not have Ambient Lighting.
Good catch. Now, why didn't I think to look there? Perhaps it was because the Manual didn't show the feature as "If equipped"? :dunno:

Peter

Back