Amp and sub question

Quick

Reaction score
City, State
IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Well I upgraded my speakers a week ago.

For the front doors I got 2 3-way Pioneers and for the back I got 2 2-way Pioneers.

I'm now looking into a sub and of course and amp. I'm planning on just getting 1 sub, though a lot of places do the "buy one get one free" thing. What amp do I need so it will power all 4 speakers plus a sub?

Like I've said before, I dont want to win any shows because I have the best sound, I just wanted something good to listen too. Any recommendations on a sub? 10", 12"? What should I go with?

I'm sure these answers have been answered thousands of times, but the answer always seems better when it is your question(s) being answered. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do u have a head unit>? because then u could habe that power the 4 speakers and get another amp to power ssub. Or have head unit power two and a amp power 2 and a sub. Depends if u have a head unit. I dont know of one amp that can power everything. spkrs and subs.
see i would only recomend kenwood, cause i like them, but other people like other things. So i would recomend a good 4 channel amp that can run tri so u can just run 2 speakers and a sub off of it. Maybe the Kac-848 or something a litle better. head unit is up to u . maybe u dont want a sub. If i were to get a sub just for yourself, maybe stick with a 10". it'll bump in your car.

I do have a headunit. Sorry I should have included this in the stuff I said.

I run my 4 pioneer 3-ways off of a Kenwood KAC-849. Sounds great.

if you want one amp to do everything, you should get a good 4, 5, or 6 channel amp. the four channel amp will be much cheaper and will work fine, so that's what i recommend. you can run all four door speakers off the front channels. just run them in paralell to create a 2 ohm load on each channel. then you can run the sub or subs off the rear channels. this should work really well. i've done it in a few installs. but personally i prefer to have a dedicated subwoofer amp. i like a seperate amp for full range speakers, and another for the sub/subs.

yea i meant the 849 not the 848 before. Its a nice amp.

Hey Mark

A budget would help us to make some recommendations. That way we could suggest one amp or two, what kind of subs, etc. Personally, if you can find one, and it is in your budget, I'd get an Xtant 3300x or 604x. Both of these amps are 3-channel amps with two "passive" channels that can power your rear speakers. I have a 3300x and absolutely love it. As for the subs, again, how much are you looking to spend? Do you want more SQ or more SPL (i.e., just loud (SPL) or clean (SQ))?

peace

Mike

mike u gots a nizice setup. Is that overhead console with an LCD screen?

Well I can afford the really expensitive stuff but I dont want too.

I really just want the basic stuff. Like i've always said I'm not out to win any sound competitions, but I would like a decent sound.

I dont need the $500 amp with 100+ features. :)

I just need a decent sub and amp.. :)

cheaper huh?

well if you want to save money like me, just look hard, i found 2-12" profile baja subs that are meant to handle 250 peak watts,(both subs and a MTX box cost me around 100, got the subs buy 1 get 1 free.) for the amp i splurged a little and got a $170 profile 600 watt amp. When i got it i saw it was stable down to 2ohms so i wired up my subs like that, interesting that my subs that were meant for 250watt peak, and are getting somewheres around 225watt rms! and lovin it! id imagine the peak that they are getting is around 450. all said and done, after i ported the box i had about 300 dollars into my subs, amp, box, and wiring.
Oh yeah did i mention that they hit hard! I have topped 2 JBL 8"'s, 2 12" Jensens, and numerous other systems that punks in hondas had, all on a budget. (i set some poor guys alarm off yesterday testing a bass CD)

BTW: this is kinda a stepping stone between now and when I get a 15" MTX RFL (2000watt RMS, 4000 watt Peak! $999)

Hey, thanks for the compliment Dan :). The overhead console is one out of a late model Explorer, the one with the LCD compass and temp readout.

peace

Mike

tight,
i wana get an lcd one day and hook up a PS2 or a XBOX when it comes out, but i need $$$$ first. ; )

Back