Amp-Power cable through firewall & attaching to battery | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Amp-Power cable through firewall & attaching to battery

WP7456

Reaction score
City, State
O-town, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
So I cannot find a spot in the firewall to run the power cable from my amp to the battery. I have looked all around and don't want to drill any holes. I also noticed when just running it around the outside that the O-ring on the end of the power cable did not fit around the bolt on the battery. It was very close to fitting but did not. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Find a bunch of wires that already go through the firewall, and see if the wire end of the power cable will fit through there, between the existing wires and the rubber grommet. You might have to try more than one before finding one with enough room. As for the ring, you can either try to drill out the hole, or just snip off the ring and crimp on a larger one.

itook a razorblade and cut a slit in the rubber grommet that the hood latch cable goes through.

There's an empty grommet above the brake pedal.

I went throught the grommet that the shift cable goes through.

Yea theres a hole right above the break u can use. Just push that grommet out, make a slice so u can push the wire thru and put it back in. If u gotta get crafty w/ it so be it, no one can see it without looking under the dash anyway.....

Good luck!

thanks, so I got it all through and attached and it sounds awsome! I was just wondering where you guys ground your amps? I am using the rear left hatch where I just basically tied the wire to the chassis in this metal hole over the tire covering. Also I am getting some slight interference. I have the power cable running on the left side, and the RCA's running down the passenger side, along with the remote turn on wire right next to it. Anything I could do to help that? thanks again

ground loop isolator.

Mine is grounded under the backseat. When u put the backseat down, and you can pull that trim back the other way (I think where the lug wrench is) there were some extra screws so......

Ground loop isolators are a band aid for a poorly grounded system. I have used factory ground points in many systems with no noise.

Yep, try a new ground. You may have to run your ground all the way back to the battery. I prefer this method, but it isn't always needed, or feasible.

Ground directly to the frame if you can....and upgrade your big three if you haven't and ground the battery to the frame

firewall

I did exactly what OldRedB2_84 did and worked awesome!

I just did this this weekend. I also ran the cable through the hood latch, and I grounded it behind the passenger seat where that little thing flips down when you fold the seat down.

amp ground

Just finished the whole set up and also grounded behind the back seat. scuffed off the paint and screwed the lug with a sheet metal screw and washer. works great. I learned how to do all that on this site! Thanks guy's for posting your help!

Wish I had found this earlier

I contemplated for over three weeks on how to get through the firewall and after finding this forum, did it in less than 5 minutes!!

Thanks Everyone

Dave

another spot you can go through is down the inside of the inner fender underneath the body and up in through where the body mount is on the driver side, just pull ur carpet up and you can see the grommet. I did that on my dads 97 explorer and i did it on my limted and it works AWESOME just thought id throw that out there

I have found several spots to run cabling from the engine to the cab. None are a piece of cake so to speak. When you run something like amp cables, the odds of creating a serious electrical fire down the road are pretty high if caution isn't exercised now. One thing I found that does an excellent job of protecting the big amp cables:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_15905_StreetWires+FB4.html

Back