Amplifier Wiring (HOW TO) 1999 Mercury Mountaineer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Amplifier Wiring (HOW TO) 1999 Mercury Mountaineer

tommyarmour

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mercury Mountaineer
I was wondering where people are running their power wire from battery to the rear compartment. For instance where are they coming through the dash at? And I have read that I should not run RCA's beside the power wire to the back of the truck. Could cause interference. I am running 4 gauge wire.

And then there is a second question probably not appropriate for this forum but I figured I would ask for those car audio savvy.

I just picked up a JL Audio 12w6 in a ported box. I am going to order the JL Audio 500/1 v1 amp from ebay this week, I have the wiring kit, and the capacitor. Plan on connecting them tomorrow. I am really thorough about my research before I ever do any job.

The JL Audio 500 amp has 2 positive and 2 negative speaker outputs and its a mono amp. I assume for several different ways of connecting parallel and serial connection. Well the 12w6 sub is a dual 4 ohm voice coils. I am not sure how they are connected in the box but there is only one set of plugs on the enclosure so how would I connect the amp: Which set of positive and negatives would I use. The first positive and the first negative? You can not bridge this amp. So it just seems a little confusing to me. And makes me wonder how is the speaker connected in the box. Looks like I have no choice but to unscrew the speaker and check the connections.

If anyone has anything to share I would love to rack your brain a little.

Here is the PDF on the amp:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/Slash_amps/500_1_MAN.pdf

And this looks like the pdf to the w6 line of JL audio's:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/8-12W6_BDS.pdf

I ran my power wire through a grommet by the pedals on the firewall. As for sub wiring, each voice coil is 4ohm so + to + and - to - makes 2ohm. This will be louder but puts more strain on the amp. For 8ohm you can go + from one voice coil to amp. - from other vc to amp. Connect remaining + and - together. This way will lighten the load on the amp but won't be as loud. As for the dual connections on the amp, thats simply for ease of installation. The amp truly only has one + and one - output. Just two terminals for each

Back