• Register Today It's free!

an extra at of oil?

JGAMBLE

Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Wainwright, Ak
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994xlt
Alright, I'm officially confused. Twice in less than two months now I've found the X puffing blue smoke upon start-up. Both times I've checked the dipstick and found it to be about a qt over. The first time I changed the filter and it leveled out. Now it's done it again :( I'm running mobil1 with a K&N oil filter. Does anyone have any ideas on this? I'm stumped short of someone adding oil when I'm not looking :p

:chug: :chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you changed the oil did you check the level after adding about 4 quarts to see where you were level-wise? If you just added 5 quarts and called it a day you may have added to much. Also were you on a level surface when you checked the oil?

Also do you have friends that may have been bored or enjoy practical jokes? :D

Yes I check the level after changing it. Oil + filter = 5qts. So this makes no sense :confused: If I have friends pulling practical jokes I don't know who it would be, but if it is they better stop, this is getting expensive replacing oil filters every couple of weeks.

Strange indeed.

One suggestion might be to drain the oil and determine exactly how much is in the motor and filter.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

If I remember correctly (my demented old mind doesn't always work properly), a blown vacuum modulator on the tranny can suck tranny fluid into the vacuum system and get it into the motor..check your tranny fluid level.

I've seen this happen three times before on different vehicles. Once was because the plugs and cap were in so bad of shape that is was missing and flooding the crank case with gas. The second was the FPRcausing the motor to flood and fill the crank when it was sitting. The third was an X. There was gas flooding into the crankcase as well because it was running bad due to a a bad CPS. Check to see if the oil smell like gas. I'll bet it does. You'll just have to find out why. Good luck
Peace

Coolant leak maybe- run a pressure test on the system. When you drained the oil did it look or smell different?

Could be a bad intake gasket, cracked head etc.

You could send some oil out to be analyized to check whether its fuel, trans oil, water, coolant etc.

coolant mixing with oil turns it beig in color like coffe with milk.

well changed the oil tonight, and there was no coolant. :thumbsup: I didn't think to smell it for gas, but I just changed the plugs and wires about 2yrs ago with bosch platimun4 plugs. She runs great, I just seem to be getting an extra qt of oil from somewhere :confused: I do have a check engine light on, but no autozone for the free scan and the ford dealer here is a joke. Neighbors gonna take the old oil filters to work and cut em open and see what he finds. Thanks for the suggestions, gonna pull the plugs and look at em this weekend.

JGAMBLE said:
well changed the oil tonight, and there was no coolant. :thumbsup: I didn't think to smell it for gas, but I just changed the plugs and wires about 2yrs ago with bosch platimun4 plugs. She runs great, I just seem to be getting an extra qt of oil from somewhere :confused: I do have a check engine light on, but no autozone for the free scan and the ford dealer here is a joke. Neighbors gonna take the old oil filters to work and cut em open and see what he finds. Thanks for the suggestions, gonna pull the plugs and look at em this weekend.

Did you measure the waste oil to determine if there is really an extra quart?

You have a car that makes oil? You're rich! ;)

Seriously though, keep an eye on it b/c things could go south quickly if you're getting gas or coolant into your oil. I've read posts about the fuel pressure regulator going bad and causing this kind of thing too.

Since the truck is a 94, it is OBD-I. If you short the right wires on your scanner port, the codes will flash on your check engine light. Take a look at your Haynes manual which tells you how to do this. You can also buy a cheapo code reader for about $20 that will beep out the codes for you, but it's not necessary. This may point you to the problem so you should get those codes.

no I didn't bother measuring the oil that came out. It was 1/4 to 3/8 above full on the dipstick and puffing blue smoke, so she was over. I'm starting to lean torwards the transmissions. There was no coolant and no OVERLY strong smell of gas. Got class tonight, but I'll pull the vacuum modulator this weekend and take a look. Thanks for all the insight guys :thumbsup:

The oil shouldn't smell like gas at all. If tranni fluid was ever being sucked in the vac system some how, it would only do it while the motor is running, thus burning the tranni fluid, so it wouldn't go in your crank case. If your oil smells like gas at all, then it is gas running into the crank case while the truck is sitting by the sounds of it. That would lean me towards the FPR for sure. Check it before and after it has been sitting to determine wether it is the FPR. Or if it fills while driving, the gas isn't being properly for some reason, eg. pluggs, CPS, wires, etc. Remember, a little gas in your oil isn't only going to make it too full, but thinner, thus all the smoke! Good luck
Peace

well the trans is low and the engine stuffed :rolleyes: I woulda thought that trans fluid would be pumped into the intake and create a steady stream of smoke, but guess not. Well have the oil trans laying around, will pull the vacuum modulator and swap. If anyone has done this before and I gonna lose fluid all over the place?

ok went home at lunch and pulled the valve off the old trans. Gotta pull the exhaust to get the one off the current trans :fire: Here's my question though, I checked the line where it plugs into the intake, it was dry as a bone, I even gave it a little suck :D and nothing came out. It is possible that since this is happening over 1-2000 miles that it's just leaking a little here and there into the intake and leaking past the rings or am I barking up the wrong tree. At this point it seems to logical conclusion but who knows :confused:

stupid question, but what is the FPR?

Fuel Pressure Regulator :rolleyes: I'll go home and sniff some oil tonite :cool:

IMHO if the line was dry, no need to bother the modulator. I did change mine I believe last year without pulling anything, but it was a pain in the :eek:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah, but she's displaying all the other signs too harsher shifting, puffs of smoke, loss of fluid. I know it's a pain to replace, but at least it's cheap. I've heard you can get to it thru the floorpans if you remove the carpet, is this true? And how did this thread end up here?

Back