• Register Today It's free!

Another A/C question

97splorer

Reaction score
City, State
Overland Park, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 5.0 AWD
I had my air conditioner fixed last summer (it had a bad clutch cycling switch) and it worked great all summer. This year it will not blow cold air. The air is cooler than just normal vent air but not cold. I checked under the hood after 30 min of driving with max air, and the compressor...(the tank wrapped in foam) is not cold. That used to be cold after running the air. Does that sound like low refrigerant, or another bad switch?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like low freon i would have it vac tested and dye tested to find the leak

cjbarron5 said:
sounds like low freon i would have it vac tested and dye tested to find the leak
I would do the exact same thing.

could I just check the pressure and fill it up if needed or do I have to evacuate the whole system? I found that where the clutch cycling switch attaces to the evaporator was loose. I turned it by hand and heard freon leak out so I tightend it back up. I assume that is where it leaked out.

You can check the pressure and and fill it up without evac'ing the whole system. Make sure you have a good seal there before filling back up again.

I just checked the pressure and it fluxuated from 25 psi to 45psi as the compressor kicked on and off then it leveled off at 25 psi. Does that sound too low?

yes it does but you need to remember that ambient temprature does have an affect on pressure i would put in half a can and go from there

Back