Another A4LD bites the dust, have reverse, no drive gears | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another A4LD bites the dust, have reverse, no drive gears

ErickSaint

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Well Thursday night I got home from work and parked the truck for the night, all was running fine. Came out to go to work Friday AM and kaput. I have reverse but no forward drive gears at all.

Today expecting the worse I dropped the pan looking for grenaded trans parts in the pan but no chunks. The fluid was filthy black, almost looked like engine oil way past its change time (fluid had nice color last time I checked it), and there was a rather thick coating of sludge on the magnet. Hoping to maybe get lucky with a clogged filter I changed the trans filter and changed what fluid I could, a storm was brewing and I have to do this sort of stuff on my street so I didn't drain the TC, can you even change the fluid in the TC without dropping the whole thing? Put everything back together and topped it back off with fresh fluid, ran through the gears and right back to square 1, I have reverse and no forward.

As I was cleaning up I looked at the old filter, it had what looks to be a cut in the screen in the middle of the larger of the 2 top holes. I was told when I bought the truck that it had the trans replaced shortly before it was sold. I have had the truck since September of 06, put close to 25k miles on it.

Is it possible due to this cut something got into the valvebody and just gunked something up in there? By the looks of that fluid I'm guessing not. I have a friend who works at carquest and can most likely get me a deal on a rebuild kit, is that basically what these kits are is vavlebody kits? http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?parttype=646&ptset=A&searchfor=Transmission+Rebuild+Kit

Here is a pic of the cut in the filter, not sure how this would have happened on it's own, I think a mechanic was angry or trying to get some repeat biz. You can also see how bad the fluid is in the background of the picture as well. Guess the only good thing to come out of this is I recently saw a decent looking 93 ranger 5 speed for sale nearby with a cap for $1700.

DSC00320.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a transmission that was rebuilt by an expert and the fluid was black. It lasted a year and a half. I rebuilt it myself when I had more time. At that time, five mistakes were found that caused the failure. Most had to do with spacing issues. One clutch pack was too tight which caused the friction material to grind up. My general feeling is most rebuilds are quite poor because they just slap them together.

As to your problem, have you tried it in just D and manual 1 & 2? It is unlikely a valve body sticking will cause this problem.

Yeah, I have tried it in all the forward gears and have nothing. RPMs never change, like its all neutral in the forward ranges.

I would suggest that you connect a 0-300 PSI gauge onto the service port to check the pressure in every gear. Reverse has a little more pressure than the other gears, so it's possible that a clogged boost valve or a blown valve body gasket might cause low hydraulic pressure.

I have read about the gauge before in other posts, is this something that they would have as a loaner tool at a place like autozone etc?

Called around this afternoon, the national chain stores don't have the gauge for either rent or sale. Anybody in Milwaukee have one I can borrow for a few days? :)

Send Glacier991 a PM or an email if you want to rent one from him. Do you have a Harbor Freight near by? They might have one. Another option is to get one from WWW.Amazon.Com. A lot of times you could get a good deal with free shipping. I bought mine from a local automotive tool supply warehouse. Their website is WWW.Eppys.Com. Here's one model from KD Tools: http://www.eppys.com/ProductHighlight.aspx?ProductID=491

Guess I may have to buy one, for me this is something I will use once, even then I dont know if it will tell me anything more than what I know now. I'll see if i have better luck today finding one.

My guess is rebuild time. You could pull the valve body and see if there's obvious problems there. That black fluid color is the worn & burned frictions from the clutch packs. You might get it running without a rebuild, but I suspect it could use a rebuild just from the fluid condition and sediment you described in the fluid & tranny pan. Was there only sludge on the magnet or was there a layer of fine sediment on the bottom of the rest of the tranny pan also?

First post, found this thread while searching for the exact same problem you are having. No forward gears, but still have reverse. :mad:

Sorry to say, but nothing ever became of it, ended up selling the explorer. Being as my only "work space" is the street in front of my house and without the truck moving it would have been collecting a ticket every other day until I got it running again, I had to part ways with it. I didnt want to put a boneyard trans in it, my luck it would have blown up again right after the warranty period was up.

The gas was starting to kill me in the truck too, I've got a 50 mile commute every day. I ended up picking up a 98 malibu, costs half as much to fill and lasts longer between fill ups. I loved my truck it was my second Explorer, and I'll get another one sooner or later I'm sure.

Same here but I pulled the tranny out I rebuilt it 9 months ago. I think it could be the one way lock up sprag and center shaft slipping. Strange thing is my tranny is clean the clutches look new and the sprag locks up when I spin it with my hand, no visable damage at all. oh and I installed a factory refurb Valve body with brand new solenoids before I pulled it with the same results no forward reverse works good. Any help on this would be great I have searched and searched with no luck on finding an answer. Could a torque converter cause this?

Drat. Another dead end.I too have the same problem with an a4ld. Took it apart and couldn't find anything wrong with it.Did the pressure test and it was good. BTW I used a pressure gauge I got off of an air compressor.

I was hoping it was the TC but it seems to be ok. If you ever find the answer let us know.

Drat. Another dead end.I too have the same problem with an a4ld. Took it apart and couldn't find anything wrong with it.Did the pressure test and it was good. BTW I used a pressure gauge I got off of an air compressor.

I was hoping it was the TC but it seems to be ok. If you ever find the answer let us know.

Did you check the vacuum modulator? On my a4ld, I found that the forward frictions were all burnt and the forward lip seals were worn out . Hope this helps

Thanks for the reply. The pressure reading was 65 to70 in the forward grars and 110 in reverse which is pretty good. If the seals were bad pressure would be low right? I checked the play in the clutch packs and it is still within specs. Also put air pressure on the apply holes and they work fine.

A bad modulator might cause shifting problems but not complete failure of forward and reverse.

Thanks for the reply. The pressure reading was 65 to70 in the forward grars and 110 in reverse which is pretty good. If the seals were bad pressure would be low right? I checked the play in the clutch packs and it is still within specs. Also put air pressure on the apply holes and they work fine.

A bad modulator might cause shifting problems but not complete failure of forward and reverse.

Did you check the forward sprag for worn areas? Did you pull the clutch packs apart and check or replace the frictions. Also if your rebuilding you really need to replace all of the seals and O rings, filter and filter O rings.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My a4ld had reverse only. Burnt forward clutches, which makes sense why I had no forward gears.

Back