Another A4LD Bites The Dust

FullBlownModz

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 and 97 solid axle exes
Hey Forum!

I have no idea where to start except that I have pulled too many transmissions on this truck.

I think the truck is on its second or third A4LD. Last time, my pump was bad.

I cant comment on the shift pattern other than it shifts at about 3.5k. This is largely due to the 3.73 gearing while being on 37s.
It is mostly a trail truck that sits around.

Anyways, the current transmission was in good standing. I had driven it over an hour on the highway twice. It was parked for the last two years.

I moved again recently and the truck had to come with. I brought it to the house last week to change and check on the fluids. Everything was low :dead:

I changed the oil and took it on a short test drive to warm the trans up to check the fluid.

The truck left me stranded for about 10 mins until I had someone bring me some ATF.

I added about half a quart since the dipstick seemed dry on the first pull. Second pull and fluid was at the bottom of the dipstick.

That allowed me to limp it back to the house. I checked the fluid again and added a little bit more.

I took it on another test drive around the neighborhood and the trans was slipping in and out of gear. I was in first gear going up a hill and it would act like it was in neutral then catch back into gear.

I checked the fluid again and it seemed fine. The dipstick is brown and truck idles high, so it is hard to read properly.

I went to bring the truck back to its parking spot and lost reverse in the process. I had it in reverse and it was shuttering until BANG, it found reverse which was never to be found again.

It still has forward gears but I'm guessing the trans is toast. Which sucks because the trans did not even see much trail time. Just need someone to confirm my fears.

I scouted another A4LD in the junkyard today but it suspiciously had a brand new vacuum modulator. I may try to snag the trans, but am I able to rotate the input shaft to confirm correct operation?

TLDR: Need to confirm that my trans is in fact toast. No reverse and was slipping in forward gears.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My experience is, when the A4LD gets to this point, I pull it and swap a manual transmission in it's place.

My experience is, when the A4LD gets to this point, I pull it and swap a manual transmission in it's place.
I had thought about going this route. I also looked into the 5R55E swap, as wiring is my strong suit.

Someone had already snagged the only M5OD in the yard, and the '97 5R55E was already robbed of its solenoids.

The problem is that I wont be able to do anything but a direct A4LD swap.

The truck is stranded in my neighborhood, and until I can get it to my shop, I will be limited on time.

I'm sure the HOA will have something to say by next week. :banghead:

A4LDs die a quick death when you run mismatched gears and tires. You can’t run bigger than 31s or maybe 32s with that gearing if you want that trans to survive. Regear to 4.88 or 5.13 or switch to manual trans.
I ran 37s with 4.56 for 12 years on my Ranger, not the optimal gearing for the size but it was a manual trans so it worked.
I also have killed an a4ld in a 92 Sport by running 31s with 3.23.

I had thought about going this route. I also looked into the 5R55E swap, as wiring is my strong suit.

Someone had already snagged the only M5OD in the yard, and the '97 5R55E was already robbed of its solenoids.

The problem is that I wont be able to do anything but a direct A4LD swap.

The truck is stranded in my neighborhood, and until I can get it to my shop, I will be limited on time.

I'm sure the HOA will have something to say by next week. :banghead:
You could find the parts on car-part.com and have it shipped to you. There's threads where people have put the 5R55E guts into the A4LD case, which is a decent upgrade. If you need something to swap in right away, find a 94 A4LD, it has improved internals like tapered roller bearings.

With your current transmission, it's dead.

I still have my original 1993 Limited A4LD, it and the 4.0 had 112,622 miles when I parted it out. I installed a TransGo kit in that trans, and my 91 XLT a4LD a year before that. I also installed a 1/8" longer pin behind the modulator, which was before the adjustable VM's I think, that was 1998 and 99. Mine would be ideal to rebuild, it never shifted poorly for the 35k miles I had it. The stock gears were 3.73's, my 91 had 3.27's, both with stock 29" tires. The 3.73 truck got 21mpg going to MN, an 1104 mile trip. Coming back was 18-19mpg, bringing my Aunt and her heavy luggage, and driving faster, on Firestone recall tires(34 and 32psi, kept until worn out a year later). I'd take $150 for the trans, I've had $350 offered for the engine/trans/TC.

I'd take $150 for the trans
That's a reasonable price and it's a known quality item. Buying from a u pull it, it might have been the transmission for the reason ending up at the junk yard.

Back