Another cruise control calamity | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another cruise control calamity

Don Don

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ford rexplorer
I have a 98 exploder that's got me in need of someone's advice. It's the 4.0 ohv, 4x4, 5 speed xlt version. When I bought it the cruise worked fine but about a year ago, I bought the sw5928 switch to replace the crumbling original set. I changed them and everything worked fine. Last week I found out that somewhere in the last 6-9 months, the cruise stopped working. I jumped on ex forum and read about the brake switch recall ( yes it's been done). So I was reading further about the resistance and continuity of the replacement switch. Resistance was 1.8 ohm and the brake has to be pushed pretty hard to open the switch circuit itself. The recall jumper wire has continuity on both legs, so I don't think that's my problem either. Yellow fuse in distribution box under hood is good. So I read further and tried the diagnostic test. I waited until nightfall for easier visual of the lights in the switches and yep they're lit. I tried the koeo test several times and get a blink as described until the set/accel button. I don't have any horn issues that would be clock spring indicators or abs light issues as some have described. It all seems to point back to the right switch being defective after 3-6 months of installation and maybe 4 or 5 uses. I could really use some advice on how to test the switch itself and just to positively eleminate the clock spring , how to test the continuity of it as well. Thanks.

Back