Another electric fan thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another electric fan thread

I am using a Scangauge to monitor my OBDII information. It does take a good while for the heat to build up, my fan runs very little. It cycles on every 30-60 seconds or so, for a few seconds at a time, in our Spring heat.

The temp probe of the CD controller does stay in fairly well, in the fins. I placed it where I did knowing that my Scangauge would give me readings from the thermostat sensor. If the temps don't remain where they should be, I can adjust the controller, or move the sensor if need be.

Place your sensor where it will be secure, tapping into the stock sensor is also a good option. It just needs to be consistant, so you can adjust the running temperature. I don't want to see readings over about 210, or under about 180, 195 is about ideal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There you go, set it to run a little cooler to start with, that can't hurt anything. Then you will eventually get a more accurate reading, preferably through the OBDII port. Then you can fine tune it better. Regards,

I put the temp probe into the coolant stream I think and never saw over 197, it kept dropping down too. I was unsure if the cooling system is that efficiant in these that the rad can actually keep it somewhat cool. In a previous car I had without the cooling fan the temp would just keep climbing, wouldn't really even pause, it was weird that this one kept coming back down. I was unsure if it was because of flow in the line not giving me accurate readings or it was just that efficiant.

At the moment I just cannot afford a scanner, I tried renting one to no avail so I'll have to wait till I'm moved and situated before I purchase one. Wish there was a better way to set all this up, moving to the desert and would like to have this operating properly before I depart.

Would the Xcalibrator read the temp sensor?

These cooling systems are very efficient, I have been impressed. My stock 98 Mountaineer 302 runs cold on the highway. With a 180 thermostat I have seen readings in the low 140 range on the highway. Surely with some time you can find help to read the temps before you move. Does the Spal let you select temps without a gauge? If so just select a lower temp range for safety now.

197 sounds good to me. I am at about 198F most of the time (winter readings also). Most I have seen is about 202F. You should be fine. If your truck gauge shows a normal range and your fan is spinning raise the temp a bit, so get it back to half speed.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Long as its hooked up to the sender he can eyeball the dash gauge and set the spal to trigger full speed.

Wonder if Autozone would scan it for free. They pull codes for free.

They will pull some items, the water should be one of those. You will have to restore the other vehicle first I think, hoepfully it doesn't need a program installed to monitor the engine. Good luck,

Back