Electric Fan- Decided on Chev HHR | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Electric Fan- Decided on Chev HHR

Here's what they are showing as the markVIII fan.
http://fanconversion.com/Mark_8_fan.html

Im not sure if the fan blades are made that way for strength so they don't flex as much? Id just think with the continental fan you would be able to move more air with lower rpm's (Which I would guess means lower amperage draw??).

Mark, based on your 460, I should be fine with the fan shroud on my new fan. There will be approx 2-3 inches on each side not covered by shroud, and top to bottom will be an exact fill.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

backside picture of continental fan

Here's a pic of the backside (I had to go home for a moment). There is 3 bolts, Im not sure exactly what will come out if I remove them.

Attachments

• Winnipeg-20110812-00037.jpg
    Winnipeg-20110812-00037.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 201

Did you get a wiring harness and relays with it?mark-witch fan do you think pulls the most?do you have this fan in your collection to be tested?you said none use the same blades but do any use the same motor?

I only have the Mark VIII fan, Taurus fan and HHR fan.

The Taurus Fan motor looks like the Continental one Dono has pictured above. When my Mark VIII fan motor had issues I could not use the Mark VIII shroud with motor and/or blade of the Taurus fan.

I did get the actual Taurus fan motor "into" the shroud but the Mark VIII blades wouldn't fit and if I put on the Taurus blades they hit the back of the shroud.

~Mark

I have relays and wiring. I don't need them. Want them? I can throw them in an envelope and fire them off.

I have relays and wiring. I don't need them. Want them? I can throw them in an envelope and fire them off.

I have some too but my tranny fan just stopped working so don't know what is wrong.know the fan works.i was just wonding if it came with them so when i order mine i can use them for back ups.thanks tho;)

Ok, new fan in and its going to be 95 degrees F here today. Will be a good test.

Interesting thing, the fan I had installed from a chrysler is exactly the same fan. The new fan has a bigger motor though. I'll know more today.

Dono,
I was looking more into how I'm going to test the fans and got to looking at your old HHR fan. One thing I noticed, your fan was really close to the radiator. I think it might have been too close. With it that close it really wouldn't be able to pull the air through the rest of the radiator. It appeared it would have been < 1" away.

Its just a thought.. Otherwise, I really like how you made that shroud.

~Mark

I started further away, and then cut up my shroud to try to bring it closer to see if that would help. Thats why I felt bad (Embarrassed) sending it to you at all after I *******ized the shroud.

That shroud started life being a bit of a work of art.

I wish shipping wasnt so darn expensive, or I'd send you more fans (Nothing like trying to dump my unused stuff on someone else).

Ok, this fan works great. No issues with the fan. One last issue to overcome.

I have the speed sensor hooked up on my painless controller, but every time I start the vehicle, the controller forgets the speed I have set and the fan only runs when my truck isn't moving. Bit of a pain (pardon the pun).

Anyone used this controller? I might have to cut and ground the speed sensor at the painless controller and forget about the speed sensor all together.

just thinking.......I wonder what would happen if I wired the 'ACC' wire to the fuse?

All I can think of is that the fan would continue to run even with the key out if the motor was hot. Is that a bad thing? I mean, other than the possibility of running the battery dead (I can't see that happening as the fan would only run till the in line sensor hit 160 degrees or less)

Thoughts anyone?

Thats pretty much how it is hooked up in the Van. The runs purely on engine temp whether the key in in run or not.

Some days I park the van and the fan isn't running. A few minutes later the fan turns on for 30 seconds or so. The most I've ever seen it do that is twice for a total run time of < 2 minutes.

The only thing I don't like about that is it can turn on when I'm working under the hood. To get around that, I'm using a manual resetting breaker. I just trip the breaker (push a button) and now the fan won't turn on while I have my hand s there.

~Mark

Thanks Mark. I'll re-wire tonight. Should be a quick thing to do. I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier.

I appreciate the input.

you wire both speeds or just the low or just the high?

I wen't with the single speed controller, so I have only wired to the high speed.

At 160 degrees, the controller sends half power to the fan, then at 180 (or 190, can't remember off hand) the controller sends full power to the fan.

I wen't with the single speed controller, so I have only wired to the high speed.

At 160 degrees, the controller sends half power to the fan, then at 180 (or 190, can't remember off hand) the controller sends full power to the fan.

yea thats how i hear most people wire them.what size fuse or breaker do you have?just wondering how many amps this thing draws on full speed start up and running full speed draw?

On my Controller, I wired the ignition wire on the controller directly to 12v (through a fuse of course). That way it acts like the ignition is on all the time as far as the controller is concerned so it will run the fan when it feels it needs to, even if the Van is off.

I've let it sit for over a month and it had no problem starting so I don't think the parasitic draw is very bad at all. I bet it is even less than the normal parasitic drain the X has.

~Mark

Im not sure on the draw. I used the fuse that came with the controller. A 60 amp.

My digital meter will only go to 10amp, so I don't have anything to test with.

I can say that this motor (Even though it looks like a physically larger motor than the last one I was using) seems to be easier on the electrical system. The reason I say this is that I was getting a 'pop' thru the radio when the fan started, and the motor rev's would drop from the alternator draw for a moment. This fan does not do this.

Back