• Register Today It's free!

Another frontend squeak?

00sport4x4

Reaction score
City, State
Elyria, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ranger FX4 Level 2
Ok Ive used the search and found info on "front end squeak" but not quiet my deal. My left front started squeaking last night, "sounds like an old spring" when I hit bumps or turn the wheels, sounds alittle worse when turning right as the left gets more weight tranfered to it. I sprayed silicone and grease on the all the front bushings including the sway bar links, checked the ball joints they seem ok. Its around 25-32 degrees here so I thought maybe some water got inside something and freezed but the 40 miles I've put on it should have warn that out. I'd really appreciate your thoughts on what could be causing this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same prob about 3 months ago after a mudding trip:). I thought maybe its just some mud, so i washed everything in the frontend and stilled did it then i sprayed it all down like u did and still did it.
Moral of story: bad CV joints

Ok,,I located the source of my noise,,,bad bottom balljoint. The question is I have an extended warranty and balljoints are covered. I called the local Ford dealer and asked if my vehicle is still covered even though it has a bodylift. They said I would need to contact the warranty advisor monday. Now what do you think? truck has a 2 in B/L, TT/shackels and 265/75 tires will they void it or repair it?

dude, you might be screwed because you did the body kift. They cant say crap about the torsion twist because it comes from the factory so you can adjust the front end. The shackles are also designed to functon with the vehicle, however the body lift PA 883 im guessing may hurt you. Good luck with that and let us know how it goes.

according to the magnum moss warantee act they have to prove that the modification caused a malfunction that wouldnt have happened otherwise.

With a balljoint they will pin it on oversized tires, torsion crank out of specs, aftermarket wheels, offroad abuse....

just because it is adjustable fromt eh factory doesnt mean it is good for it. In the Factory Service Manual it specifies a ride height that will keep the suspension components in their optimum working condition. If the truck is out of spec in any way you could be screwed... unless the dealer did the work.

I have the Ford Extracare warranty and I'm sure Ford will void it but hey might as well ask. They gave me prices of 260 in parts 340 in labor for all four balljoints then 50 for alignment and possible 136 for the caster kit if it needs it.

Well I spoke with the warranty advisor this morning and he said I would have to remove the body lift before they worked on it or the warranty would be void. He stated ANY modifacation will void the warranty, So I took it in to the ford dealer at 10:30am today to just get the bottom balljoints replaced and pay for it myself $322.00 +tax and possible $136.more if the caster kit was needed for alignment. I was then called at 6pm told it was ready to go when I arrived to pick it up the service advisor said my total due was $57.60. I was like :eek: ,are you sure, he replied yep you have an extended warranty that covered the repair so you just pay the deductable. OK :burnout: I was blessed on that one.

I just got in from changing my oil when I got under the X I took a quick glance at the bottom ball joints, there new, then noticed the tie rod ends were both replaced and the upper ball joints were also replaced. I didnt look at my paperwork yesterday but in fact looked today they replaced all of it. Just hard to believe all of that was bad at 62,258 miles.

Back