• Register Today It's free!

Front end squeak

lmacmil

Reaction score
City, State
South Bend, Ind
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 4-dr V-6
My stock 1996 with 60K miles just developed a very annoying front end squeak. It's coming from the right side and squeaks anytime the front end dives (braking) or hits a bump. I can't tell where it's coming from. Whaddya think? Bushings, ball joints, shock? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just got the same squeak that you did. It almost sounds like something needs to be lubed. Lets hope its nothing major.

Most likely it's ball joints.

i have the same sqeek.. now i do my own oil... what should i be lubing? where can i get the lube... and where does it go...

thanks Mike

yah i got a super annoying ass squeak on my 93 too. Sometimes i can't even cruise through a parking lot w/o feeling like a dumbass. It happens when I brake too. I took the front wheel off and the brakes are cool w/ plenty of meat on the pads.

i have the same thing on my 94. It's only on the right side. I hear nothing if I hit a speed bump with the left side, but if i hit it straight on or with the right, you here it. It really bugs the $#%* out of me. I pulled the wheel and checked all the sway bar mounts, hubs, and steering and everything felt tight.

mine is on the driver's side. Maybe I'll try greasing my ball joints soon. I don't think they have been serviced in a long time if ever. i have also been beating the hell out of it lately and it didn't start making the noise till I started 4x4ing a lot.

Back