AC/Heat only come out through the defrost | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

AC/Heat only come out through the defrost

well it is not sucking any air at all when i unplugged it and the car was running so i guess im gonna have to pull off the tire and the fender cover to find this freaking hose

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, you won't...

the line lays on top of the plastic fender liner, goes to a box under the air cleaner, and then to the intake. Unless it was broken off under the heater blower motor, this should be about a 10 minute job.

This fourm is great......I read this thread & went out to my 95 Explorer & fix the problem in lees than ten minutes. Now my wife is happy that air will hit hear directly. My vacuum line was unplugged where it comes thru the fire wall. :D
Everyone of you guys are great.......now i got to go cut the grass.

lost and witout air in florida

i have followed the lines from inside under the glove box to the other side of the firewall but i cant find a break in them on runs up to a box near the front of the truck it has suction the other line runs up to a little bubble that is connected to what i think is the vacume tree this line has no suction even when i disconet the line from the bubble there is no suction from the line or the bubble i have added some pics for reference sorry about not having the corrrect terminolgy im not a mechanic. thanks for all the help

BlindCamel

:frustrate

DIGI0066.jpg

DIGI0067.jpg

DIGI0068.jpg

DIGI0069.jpg

This little 90° vacuum connection will only have a vacuum when the selector switch is set to MAX AC.

DIGI0068.jpg

yes i figgured that out after tinkering around with everything for awhile i have checked all the hoses and none are broke, i have also checked to see if i have suction at the 2 connectors under the glovebox i have suction comming from the black line all the way up to the last connector behind the ac control unit the one with like 4-5 diff. color tubes from it

I still dont have any air comming from the vents only from the def. any ideas on what to check next

any help would be great its hott here in florida with out air

today im going to try and take the ac control unit out of the dash and see if i see anything out of place or disconnected

:rolleyes:

All Fixed Driving Cool in Florida

ok so i went and bought a ac controler switch today from ford (noone else carried it) after installing it i have cold air blowing out of my vents again however now i lose air when accelerating but not every time i accelerate but atleast i have cold air again thanks for all the help i folowed the instructions on this forum in this post and others thanks for all the help so far still a few more fixes on this cheap truck i bought

:D

Old thread but hey I searched :)

I went out to figure out my problem and while messing wiht the line that goes under the w fluid/coolant resivoir,I snapped a line but also found out the other end wasnt connected.

I assume the tan part goes to the vac ball? Would normal rubber hoses work for bridging the gaps?

GEDC0710.jpg

I repaired mine that way years ago. Seems to be working.

Ok thanks!

The tire and plastic fender has to come off to get to the ball correct?

Ok thanks!

The tire and plastic fender has to come off to get to the ball correct?

Yeah, it does.

you'll need a 1/4" ratchet, extensions, an 8mm and a 10 mm socket, and a phillips screwdriver.

Ok i got the sheild off and it seems the line that would go to the intake in broken.

I cant seem to find the spot on the intake with a vacuum line broke,does anybody know where this goes?

GEDC0712.jpg

GEDC0713.jpg

broken vacuum line

Look around near end of broken line you found, the other end should be somewhere close unless some prior tech messed this up. Bottom line is it needs to be connected to a vacuum source, ie: the vacuum tee on the rear of the intake manifold. Look at all the small lines connected to the manifold tee and trace them to find the broken end, splice it and you should have a fix.

Thanks

I was replacing the thermostat and must have accidentally disconected the one vaccuum line. What would have cost a fortune to have someone diagnose you guys solved in 5 minutes. I found one of the lines connected to the "vacuum sphere" loose. Pushed it back on and my vent and floor air is once again working.

Thanks
Ladies & Gents

easy fix

Keeping with the premise of check the easy stuff first, I traced the vacuum lines and found one broken. Fashioned a splice from short section of rubber hose and nice cold air now blows from the main dash vents. Thanks very much for the diagnostic ideas.

Sit in the passenger seat. Above your left foot, hidden by the glove box, is the hose "gang plug" connecting the control to the heater. Make sure it is connected. Above your right foot, at the lower right corner of the heater, is a two-hose connector which attaches the heater to the vacuum supply in the engine compartment. I knocked this one loose once, and the air would only come out the defogger vent. Sound familiar?[/I]
Yes it did !
My daughter drives a 99 XLS. Came in this afternoon and said her A/C didin't blow out the front vents. Followed the instructions above and in 5 minutes found an unplugged line under the dash at the fire wall. Daddikin' strikes again with the help of this forum.

Fixed mine too

My problem turned out to be a broken vac line under the hood kind of hard to see, but I located a broken small line along edge of passenger side fender and by its length was able to locate the other end. I broke off a bit more of the brittle part and used a rubber hose to fashion a patch, then zip tied it to keep it away from heat. Works great now!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Had similar experience as rustfarme. Logged onto this site and read various posts. No air coming from vents no matter what mode. Learned the door that deflects air to the ducts was not operating. Always begin with the most obvioul or simplest. So I looked for vacuum l,ine in engine bay. Found it and noticed it was not firmly pressed onto its connection which was causing a lack of vacuum upon which my system runs. All functions were restored when I re-established the connection, Thank you all for the great advice.

Back