• Register Today It's free!

Another P2135 Issue - Sorry

PotatoExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Carlisle, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer Ltd.
I'm back with another P2135 issue. A month or so ago I had an issue when waiting at a red light. I had no response when I tried to give it gas and realized I had the orange wrench. Took 3 restarts to get it started again but drove fine afterwards and I wanted to assume it was just a fluke. I had checked the codes and (if memory serves me correct) were the same P2135 codes. Then on Christmas Eve I tried starting it up after driving to a few places and had a horrendous rough idle with the orange wrench. Shut it off and turned it back on and she was completely fine, not even a CEL. A few days ago I drove 170+ miles with no issues. I go to pick up some take out down the road and the orange wrench pops up while sitting at a red light. Took 2 tries to get her back up and running but now I have a consistent CEL. Two days later I drove 170+ miles back home (through a massive ice storm) and the CEL is still on. Checked the codes when I got back home and I have the P2135 code again - P2135-FF & P2135-C. Drove it last night and the CEL is still illuminated on the dash. She does idle slightly rough but nothing too crazy. Just enough to see the tach jump up and down ever so slightly, maybe a few 100 RPM at a time.

I changed the throttle body back in 2017 and the TPS in 2018. Google says the TPS should last about 80k miles and I replaced it with the rectangular Motorcraft version. I had peeled back the wire harness a few years ago (maybe 8 or so inches) from the TPS plug and the MAF sensor plug and the wires were in really good condition for the age. No signs of cracking or shorting out.

A few months ago I had a major electrical issue with cylinder #4 COP that was throwing a crap load of interference into the system. I'm wondering... could that also have shortened the lifespan of the TPS, maybe fried the sensor? Or, I'm wondering, could another COP be throwing interference in the electrical system with the TPS wires? Could it also be the accelerator pedal sensor itself?

Question 1 - If there was an issue with the throttle body itself or the MAF sensor, are there specific codes for those faults or is the P2135 a blanket code?
Question 2 - Is it possible for a bad COP to throw interference into the TPS wire harness?

What are your educated guesses on this and are there any suggestions you might have? Thanks guys!

134152158_10164432202520585_9213571112666248600_o.jpg

I'm back with another P2135 issue. A month or so ago I had an issue when waiting at a red light. I had no response when I tried to give it gas and realized I had the orange wrench. Took 3 restarts to get it started again but drove fine afterwards and I wanted to assume it was just a fluke. I had checked the codes and (if memory serves me correct) were the same P2135 codes. Then on Christmas Eve I tried starting it up after driving to a few places and had a horrendous rough idle with the orange wrench. Shut it off and turned it back on and she was completely fine, not even a CEL. A few days ago I drove 170+ miles with no issues. I go to pick up some take out down the road and the orange wrench pops up while sitting at a red light. Took 2 tries to get her back up and running but now I have a consistent CEL. Two days later I drove 170+ miles back home (through a massive ice storm) and the CEL is still on. Checked the codes when I got back home and I have the P2135 code again - P2135-FF & P2135-C. Drove it last night and the CEL is still illuminated on the dash. She does idle slightly rough but nothing too crazy. Just enough to see the tach jump up and down ever so slightly, maybe a few 100 RPM at a time.

I changed the throttle body back in 2017 and the TPS in 2018. Google says the TPS should last about 80k miles and I replaced it with the rectangular Motorcraft version. I had peeled back the wire harness a few years ago (maybe 8 or so inches) from the TPS plug and the MAF sensor plug and the wires were in really good condition for the age. No signs of cracking or shorting out.

A few months ago I had a major electrical issue with cylinder #4 COP that was throwing a crap load of interference into the system. I'm wondering... could that also have shortened the lifespan of the TPS, maybe fried the sensor? Or, I'm wondering, could another COP be throwing interference in the electrical system with the TPS wires? Could it also be the accelerator pedal sensor itself?

Question 1 - If there was an issue with the throttle body itself or the MAF sensor, are there specific codes for those faults or is the P2135 a blanket code?
Question 2 - Is it possible for a bad COP to throw interference into the TPS wire harness?

What are your educated guesses on this and are there any suggestions you might have? Thanks guys!

View attachment 326262
Hey PotatoExplorer ,did you figure out what it was?i think we are having the same problem,i've chasing that problem for 5 years,no luck?what did you end up doing?

Hey PotatoExplorer ,did you figure out what it was?i think we are having the same problem,i've chasing that problem for 5 years,no luck?what did you end up doing?
Hey, sorry to hear that you're running into something similar. Definitely is a frustrating experience. For this specific case I believe I replaced my throttle position sensor and that fixed the major issues BUT I think the source of all my frustrations were actually counterfeit Motorcraft coil on plugs. My theory is that the counterfeit COPs were causing all sorts of electrical issues and causing the TPS to either short out or somehow decrease it's life expectancy. So definitely check to make sure your COPs are legit and in good condition (the one I referenced in the original post, I believe only had this hairline crack, which is enough to cause problems). If those are fine, I would probably just throw a new Motorcraft TPS on. Good luck!

Back