Another slightly knackered Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another slightly knackered Explorer

E.T.

Reaction score
City, State
Ucon, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
Ho there! I got this the other day, mentioned that it at least wasn't suffering the "death rattle" to a buddy in Walmart-which then appeared the minute I restarted the truck..
DSC_0394.JPG

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum, Walmart will do that to you.....

Thanks! And I shall never set foot in one again..

Welcome to the forum.

If you hold the pedal to the floor and crank the engine you can ‘pre-oil’ the motor without it starting. Release the pedal then start. That may help quiet it down while you plan your repair.

Welcome to this forum! I don't have a Walmart where I live. We have Sears & Target instead.
Thanks. Are there less twilight-zone goings on as well? I wonder if the two are more widely correlated!

Welcome to the forum.

If you hold the pedal to the floor and crank the engine you can ‘pre-oil’ the motor without it starting. Release the pedal then start. That may help quiet it down while you plan your repair.

Thanks, and thanks! I'll give it a go. Started it earlier and gave it a rev, heard a louder "click", now it does run quieter. Could have been the tensioner un-sticking or a piece of the guide breaking off!

Back