Another Texas SAS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another Texas SAS

I figured now was the time to go ahead and put a thread up about my axle swap. The axle build and fab work are being done by Texas Auto Gear, www.texasautogear.com , here in Houston. The axle is a Dana 44 from a '75 bronco that has been slightly modified for my use. It was built with 4.56 gears, detroit locker, Warn axleshafts, CTM Ujoints, Jeep Wagoneer hy steer knuckles, and a *******ized Ford/Chevy brake setup. The completed axle is pictured below. They are currently doing the fab work for the install, which should be completed by Sat.

DSC00198.JPG

DSC00199.JPG

I'm sure I forgot some details, so feel free to ask. I'll happily answer questions about anything but cost. If you want to know what it cost, build it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats awesome, hope to see it if Texplorer's gets up and running.

It's upside down! Not a good way to start off things :roll: :D

gez and I though maybe you would get some nice rims and some beefy meats under there.

That looks awesome, hope it runs as good as it looks for you. Keep us updated
gary

Hey, those are my wheels and tires there buddy!! ;)

BTW, my pitures pretty much suck. You probably can't tell, but that there is the most beautiful bumper I have ever seen...

Those rims belong to someone else, but they look much better on my truck than his :D . I have the same tire and size rim being put together now to go on it.

There has been some delay in getting the truck finished. The supplier that was lined up for the orbital valve for the steering can't get it for another two weeks. We are currently trying to trackdown an orbital somewhere else. They are also going to rebuild the radius arms as they currently hang down too far and will be rock anchors.

But the bumper is done. That was a totally them thing. I told them I wanted the winch up high and tucked in, cut whatever you need to. That is what they came up with. It doesn't stick out any further than the stock bumper did and offers alot better approach angle. I am very happy with it.

The overall flex of the truck is pretty good. The rear is holding things back right now, but longer shocks are already here for it. The front still has travel left from those pictures. The truck is also rock steady in that position. I shoved on it an it didn't want to move at all. It is also only about 3/4 in taller than before with the superlift and 1 in spacer.

Thanks Randall for posting those pics. I'll get a lot more when it is done and home.

Damn I need to hurry up and get my little Explorer up to TAG soon.

Just curious, any more pics of your shock/coil mounts? Texas Auto Gear make the hoops? (In case you can't tell, I'm interested:))

Check that link that Randall put up. It has the rest of the pics on it. I'll get more/better ones when I physically get the truck home. It is tough right now because the shop is an hour drive from me. I really have to plan to be on that side of town.

They built those mounts custom for the truck. It required modifiying the frame rail and the firewall/ floorboard on the driver side. They built them because the EB coil buckets I had were in too bad a shape to use, and this allows them to fine tune the suspenion hieght to keep the truck as low as possible.

Come down for the BBQ next weekend. It will hopefully be finished by then.

Yeah, I saw the link, just wanted to check if there were more. I'll check it again to see if I missed something (it's happened before!). Can't come to the BBQ though I'd love to, already planning for the Texplorers meet. Maybe another time though :)

Sponsored by MasterCard
lol

It's home. No real pics yet. I'll work on getting those tomorrow. It drives suprisingly well for full hydraulic steering, a little twitchy but I'll get used to it. Now for a teaser :D

Attachments

• dsc00206.jpg
    dsc00206.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 343

That looks awesome Micheal! Congrats.

That is a very sweet bumper. What winch did you go with, you didn't have it at Tellico did you?

One more thing. Is the front diff normally that far toward the center or is that just because of the setup on the EBs?

That is how the Axles are on the EB. Michaels axle was not cut down at all, it is stock EB width.

Originally posted by JoshC

One more thing. Is the front diff normally that far toward the center or is that just because of the setup on the EBs?

Michael, EXCELLENT!

that looks badass!

btw what does that EB stand for that everyone with a coil sas talk about? is it eddie bauer? if so what is different about them, cause i feel dumb not knowing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks robb i feel better know.....but i feel like i should have figured that out! damn!:D

Back