• Register Today It's free!

Another towing question

Cole94

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer XLT 4dr 4x4
Looking on dealing with junker/wrecked vehicles for some supplemental income... thats another story
My question is if I can use a two wheel tow dolly or a full auto transport trailer, and tow another vehicle up to 100 miles with my explorer? Its a 1994 5 speed swap, 3.23 gears (note: i do have a 3.73 gear swap on the books for the spring...)
Can I get away with doing this till next spring when I get a gear swap? I know its well above the m5od towing limit... but that seems to be a point of opinion. Many say you can tow up to the autos limit with the m5od if you're doing it right. I've pulled up to 2k several times with no issue so far... hoping I can get away with 5k so I dont have to purchase a 3/4 ton

I apologize for the rather convoluted nature of this post...

I believe you have 3.27 gears which I also have and I would never think of towing 5000 lbs I probably wouldn't tow 2000 lbs. If your truck is 2wd you should consider getting a 4.10 axle from a 2nd gen maximize your pulling power on a budget. If your truck is 4x4 you won't have an easy time finding the front diff for cheap.

Back