Another towing question (sorry) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Another towing question (sorry)

Hello--I've read through many threads before posting. I just couldn't seem to find an near match to my setup. Here it goes.

I have a 2002 EB Ford Explorer. 4.0L v6 with a class 3 hitch. Towing capacity is #5680. I'm thinking about buying a Coleman Utah pop up which is #2600. I know the math says that I can tow this, but after I load in the family and gear, I figure that I'll be near #3800 to #4000. No more than #4000.

Can my truck really handle this load? On day I would love to take a trip out the Rockies and Yellowstone. Is this pop up too heavy? Or should I look for something lighter? Many Thanks.

I have a similar weight popup and I tow it in the mountains of CO all the time. You won't be the fastest thing on the road going up, but it manages fairly well. And braking seems to be just fine with mine as well.

Your tow rating is only 5680lbs if you also have the 3.73 gears and not the 3.55's

Check the code on the drivers side door jam.

Your tow rating is only 5680lbs if you also have the 3.73 gears and not the 3.55's

Check the code on the drivers side door jam.
He already said he has the factory tow package, which includes the 3.73 gearing.

You are well within your ratings. V6 with tow package is a good match for a large Coleman popup. I actually towed a Coleman Mesa (similar to a Utah, minus the slideout) at 3000 lbs loaded with a Chrysler V6 minivan. I was within my ratings there, too, but not as much cushion as you will have.

Happy camping.

PS - You will need to have an electric brake controller. That 2600 lbs is the dry/empty weight. Loaded, you will be at least 3200 lbs. Add that to 4500+ lbs of truck, plus your family, and you are will over the 6400 lbs that your brakes were designed to handle.

With the tow package, you will find a brake control wire socket under your glove compartment. Buy a Tekonsha Prodigy, P2, or P3 brake controller (accept no other!), and a Ford-specific Tekonsha pigtail for plug & play use.

Back