• Register Today It's free!

Antilock brake problem?

robswan100

Reaction score
City, State
springfield illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xlt
I test drove a 97 Explorer with antilock brakes today. Whenever I was coming to a complete stop, at the very last second the brake pedal would vibrate slightly, there would be a buzzing sound that seemed to come from under the hood and the steering wheel would go to the left. I want to say that braking seemed normal up to that point, only at the last second or two did this happen. I noticed new front end parts when looking underneath, upper control arms, lower ball joints, stabalizer bar bushings, and the dealer said that there was some brake work done but did not give details. Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be and what the fix might be? Any information would be appreciated and might help me to make up my mind on the purchase of this vehicle. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

get a warranty! Sounds like one of the wheel sensors may be out, did the ABS light flash?

Also if there are that many new parts its really possible it was slammed into a curb or something and they are just trying to unload it. You could test drive it right over to another shop for diagnostics :)

the abs light did not flash, i was wondering about the curb thing myself but they replaced the parts i mentioned an both sides and i cant see why they would spend that money just to unload it, if it is a sensor, do you have an idea on the cost?

sensors are cheap, but dont take my word for it, if they replaced everything because it was having problems before then they didnt fix it right if its still got the problem. I would negotiate your price, then tell them you will buy it when they fix the problem.
Have you told them about it?
dealerships are pretty good about fixing it before you buy it and doing a good job, but not all of them

I told him when I got back from driving it, he drove it in the lot and said he heard and felt it also and was going to have it looked at tomorrow, I just wanted to see if I could find out any information so he cant tell me he spent big money to fix it and now there is no room for negotiations. I guess I was wanting to hear a simple fix but I would rather hear the truth. I appreciate your input.

Sounds similar to a problem I had - ABS cycling at low speeds on good surfaces but only when manouvering.

Turned out to be the front ABS sensors.

After both sensors were replaced (not that expensive but over here the car cost $52,000(USD)!) got 2 miles up the road and the problem was back.

Back to the shop which claimed that one of the NEW sensors was faulty. Picked the car up and the mechanic came along on a test drive - half a mile down the road the problem was back. Red faces all round!

I took the Ex home. Strange but true the problem happened only that once and never happened again! No further work was done on the car.

Just found the bill - the sensors were $216(USD)+Tax didn't pay for fitting as I had been so many times about the same problem!!

Just thinking about possible accident damage I was convinced that my ABS problem only started after I'd had the front discs and pads renewed.

So it's very possible that the ABS set up was just poorly replaced and/or connected up!

Back