Any ever remove their A/C Compressor? Still want heat but don't use A/C. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any ever remove their A/C Compressor? Still want heat but don't use A/C.

MidnightRebel07

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport Trac
Ok, after having to replace the spark plugs/ wires a couple times and just other things I've worked on the motor I'm ready to take off the A/C Compressor completely.

Got a couple questions...

1. Can this be done without screwing up the heating/ cooling system (computer, etc.)

2. Do they make a belt for a A/C delete 4.0L

3. What all would need to be done to make this possible

I figure if I this is possible then I'll shave off alot of weight from the frontend and have less drag on the motor. I don't use the A/C so it's just added weight and drag on the motor.

This is on my 2003 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0L Job2 motor.

As much info with or without pictures, links to other threads, projects, sites would be awesome.

Thanks guys.

I just removed the compressor, condenser and lines off today. I capped of the fitting until I get around to swapping out the heater bax to a A/C delete Ranger box.

I had a 99 5.o and the clutch completely shattered so I just bypassed the ac all together... They do make a bypass pulley to install in place of the compressor (for the 5.0 at least) but times were tough so I got a piece of yarn and wound it thru the serpentine route eliminating the clutch taped both ends together and took it to oreily, the have a tool for measuring the length of the belt needed and it worked like a charm... Sold the truck to a buddy and still running fine just no ac. Just a thought

Back