any knows problems with 2013 explorer xlt?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

any knows problems with 2013 explorer xlt??

08shelbygt500

Reaction score
hi there, new member here, and am going to be purchasing a 2013 explorer xlt with the 2.0L ecoboost engine, with 201a package. I was just wondering if there have been any mechanical problems with these so far? trading in a 2010 escape xlt, looking for something with more room and love that the explorer has three row of seats and plenty of storage. Thanks so much

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ecoboost engines gets almost the same mpg as v6 engine. Read about the real world mpg on ecoboost engine on explorer. I would suggest you to go with v6 4wd.

Depending on your expectations and driving situation, the 2.0 may be too small for the (relatively) heavy Explorer...

We went in looking for a commuter car for the wife, even the hybrid's, and so we test drove all 3 engines and given the estimated epa mpg decided on the sport...

if all your driving will be in traffic, maybe the 2.0 will work for you... not for us :)
good luck on your decision...

hi there, new member here, and am going to be purchasing a 2013 explorer xlt with the 2.0L ecoboost engine, with 201a package. I was just wondering if there have been any mechanical problems with these so far? trading in a 2010 escape xlt, looking for something with more room and love that the explorer has three row of seats and plenty of storage. Thanks so much
Welcome to the Forum 08shelbygt500.:wavey:
I don't recall any posts that suggested that there were any mechanical problems with the 2.0L Ecoboost or and of the other engines. There have been a couple of instances with the 3.5L Ecoboost where a air hose has come off the turbo but that is an easy fix and not something I would be concerned about. As JohnBoyToo did, I would suggest that you test drive the Explorers to see which engine is for you. There have been a few posts that felt the 2.0L was too small but not having driven one, I can't really comment on that. The regular 3.5L V6 is now the 'middle of the road' engine. Test drive them and make sure you don't buy something that you will later regret.
Good luck and happy shopping.:thumbsup:

Peter

Welcome! I am not starting a debate do no haters please. But I had an Ex with the 2.0 for a loaner 2 weeks ago and omg holy poop I don't know why anybody would want that!! At first I got this impression that "ok this thing does fine". As I drove it for a week, I hated it and the flaws began to show. I know this is simply one mans opinion but it is, no doubt, too small of a motor for the Explorer. I would eventually get frustrated with it and ended up with worse mpg than my Sport because I needed to floor it to get the hunk moving faster than 0-35 in an hour or more. I don't see any benefit to the 2.0, the 3.5 in the xlt/limited is silky smooth in comparison. I have a bold opinion because it was miserably slow. No one should subject themselves to a slow vehicle before you even have your kids stuff, a trailer, a need to merge or put a goofy smile on your face.

2.0L Ecoboost

Thanks for jumping in coverted_21. I'm sure your experience with this engine will be helpful. Like I mentioned I haven't tested that engine so I was only assuming it might be underpowered for the vehicle. That is likely why it isn't available in AWD. I have the 3.5L and find it a good fit but wouldn't want to go any smaller.
To the original poster, unless it is a matter of $$, I would suggest you give the V6 a good look.
Remember that the 2014's will be coming out soon so dealers should give you a good deal on any 2013's they have on the lot.

Peter

We have a 2013 XLT with the 2.0L EB motor. From personal experience, I would not pay the extra $1000. for this motor option. You may think you are going to get better gas mileage out of it, but driven very easy, it will not get anywhere close to the advertised mileage. Ford has no fix for this. There is no performance benefit , and maybe a loss (highway passing) with the EB motor. The v6 would be a better choise all around, and if you live in a winter area, snow and ice, put the money toward an AWD option. No motor issues really, other than mileage, but lots of other quality control issues have been a headache......You could check the listed 2013 mileages at www.fuelly.com and you will soon see the V6 is just as good as the l4......You'll like the comfort of the ride, and the
generous cargo capacity, but the 3rd row seats access is not really the greatest.....best regards Plum

2L is too small for this car. You will feel it every time you drive it.

Hey 08shelbygt500,

Did you decide to bring home to Explorer? Some of us are waiting on the edge of our seats to find out. :)

Crystal

test drove both the 2l and the v6 and the v6 is definately the better choice, the 2l is too slow. i have found a 2013 xlt with black leather, and my touch system with 19,000 miles, for 28,900. is this a fairly good price?

Don't know, but I'd not buy anybody else's trouble. Any of the new ones should be selling for Dealer Invoice.

Back