Any suggestions/personal experiences with life expectancy? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any suggestions/personal experiences with life expectancy?

rivapeeva

Reaction score
City, State
Leander
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT 4x2
My 2004 XLT has 182,500 miles on it and im wondering if there is anything y'all would recommend to do/add to it to keep it in working order. The engine still runs and sounds great and it hasnt had any major issues or repairs. I want to keep it running good as long as possible. Also looking to see personal experiences or things y'all have heard about how long these usually last for. thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well the two big things that happen to these things are the transmission solenoid issue and the timing chain guides (assuming 4.0 L V6) If the timing chain guides break it's an expensive PITA to fix even if it doesn't completely wreck the motor. At this point, these vehicles might not be worth putting that kind of money into.

For mine, I replaced every filter and every drop of fluid. Oil, transfer case, differentials, everything. The brake and power steering fluid were black and clearly had never been changed. I wouldn't recommend a trans flush on an old trans of unknown history, but a drain and fill will put at least some fresh fluid where it counts. I had to have a full trans job done on mine so it didn't matter.

But you get the idea. Check the maintenance schedule and make sure all the recommended services for the mileage have been done. A lot of people just put in gas and drive and never bother with any of the scheduled stuff. The old fuel filter on mine drained out some stuff that looked like really old used motor oil. The fuel filter, mind you. Regular maintenance is important.

Beyond that, it's really hard to judge if a specific component should be replaced proactively or if you should wait until fails, but if you know some of the history, it might be time to replace the plugs for instance. You may want to clean the throttle body too. In my mind, when it breaks, fix it, but not before that. I'm just grateful it runs good. Aftermarket parts can be dicey, OEM parts are expensive and the part might not fail anytime soon.

I also did the brakes & rotors and put on good new tires, not just because it was due for all of those, but it gave me peace of mind. My kids were going to drive it and I wanted to make sure it had the best traction and braking power possible.

You also might want to do rust mitigation. Everything else is a waste if you have frame rust or the body is rotting out. Rust is car cancer - cut it all out immediately or it's just a matter of time before it's junk. I got some rust converter stuff, crawled around underneath the vehicle and hosed down everything I could see. So far it seems to have worked. It turned the rusty spots a shiny black and they haven't progressed. IMO you are better off being fairly aggressive here. Catch it early and it's easier to fix than if you catch it late.

Change oil and oil filter every 3,000 miles. Cheap way to protect engine as effectively as possible,

Good luck, and drive safe.

Don’t think that changing functional 25 year old Ford parts with aftermarket parts is doing your truck any favors. When I was a kid, aftermarket parts were considered superior. But now, they are often just junk.

The biggest single issue I have with keeping this old truck running is cheap aftermarket parts. You just can’t rely on them, or even feel confident that the aftermarket part is not problem, even when the aftermarket stuff is almost new.

Good luck, and drive safe.

Well the two big things that happen to these things are the transmission solenoid issue and the timing chain guides (assuming 4.0 L V6) If the timing chain guides break it's an expensive PITA to fix even if it doesn't completely wreck the motor. At this point, these vehicles might not be worth putting that kind of money into.

For mine, I replaced every filter and every drop of fluid. Oil, transfer case, differentials, everything. The brake and power steering fluid were black and clearly had never been changed. I wouldn't recommend a trans flush on an old trans of unknown history, but a drain and fill will put at least some fresh fluid where it counts. I had to have a full trans job done on mine so it didn't matter.

But you get the idea. Check the maintenance schedule and make sure all the recommended services for the mileage have been done. A lot of people just put in gas and drive and never bother with any of the scheduled stuff. The old fuel filter on mine drained out some stuff that looked like really old used motor oil. The fuel filter, mind you. Regular maintenance is important.

Beyond that, it's really hard to judge if a specific component should be replaced proactively or if you should wait until fails, but if you know some of the history, it might be time to replace the plugs for instance. You may want to clean the throttle body too. In my mind, when it breaks, fix it, but not before that. I'm just grateful it runs good. Aftermarket parts can be dicey, OEM parts are expensive and the part might not fail anytime soon.

I also did the brakes & rotors and put on good new tires, not just because it was due for all of those, but it gave me peace of mind. My kids were going to drive it and I wanted to make sure it had the best traction and braking power possible.

You also might want to do rust mitigation. Everything else is a waste if you have frame rust or the body is rotting out. Rust is car cancer - cut it all out immediately or it's just a matter of time before it's junk. I got some rust converter stuff, crawled around underneath the vehicle and hosed down everything I could see. So far it seems to have worked. It turned the rusty spots a shiny black and they haven't progressed. IMO you are better off being fairly aggressive here. Catch it early and it's easier to fix than if you catch it late.
my vehicle was fixed with the timing chain issue, models after 2002 all had it fixed. Even if not, the timing chain isnt rattling or anything. Engine runs like a dream

Can't beat time. I'd save $$ & not fix a thing on the Explorer. Do cheap DIY fixes, run it till it dies, & then buy something else.

Nothing lasts forever. These vehicles are reaching the end of their lives, no matter how much we want them to keep going.

I've been impeccably maintaining my Mounty since new. Whatever broke, I had my mechanic repair with Motorcraft parts.

Basically, no expense was spared to keep it going. New transmission, new transfer case, new radiator, new power steering.

Now there's something going on with the engine. He told me and I promptly forgot, as I'm not into details.

I told him let's replace it with a reman engine, but he said there's also chassis rust that will kill the car within two or three years.

I'm not a stupid man, so I've finally agreed to let it be, but I'm still taking it to Alaska as a last hurrah ... that's nearly 10k miles.

I just hope it makes it, and I'm not stranded in Nowhere, ND. It's been a great time with my Mounty, and I'll be sad to see it go.

Maybe yours has less rust on it, if you're from a drier climate, but not me, as I'm from Upstate NY.

Twenty years of rain, snow, ice, and salt has done a number on my Mounty. It has 313k on it now. Nothing lasts forever.

Next time use some fluid film
Keeps the rust away

Nothing lasts forever. These vehicles are reaching the end of their lives, no matter how much we want them to keep going.

I've been impeccably maintaining my Mounty since new. Whatever broke, I had my mechanic repair with Motorcraft parts.

Basically, no expense was spared to keep it going. New transmission, new transfer case, new radiator, new power steering.

Now there's something going on with the engine. He told me and I promptly forgot, as I'm not into details.

I told him let's replace it with a reman engine, but he said there's also chassis rust that will kill the car within two or three years.

I'm not a stupid man, so I've finally agreed to let it be, but I'm still taking it to Alaska as a last hurrah ... that's nearly 10k miles.

I just hope it makes it, and I'm not stranded in Nowhere, ND. It's been a great time with my Mounty, and I'll be sad to see it go.

Maybe yours has less rust on it, if you're from a drier climate, but not me, as I'm from Upstate NY.

Twenty years of rain, snow, ice, and salt has done a number on my Mounty. It has 313k on it now. Nothing lasts forever.

Other than accidents, rust is the one thing that can truly kill a vehicle. You are a brave man to take a vehicle with engine trouble on a 10K mile trip!

Other than accidents, rust is the one thing that can truly kill a vehicle. You are a brave man to take a vehicle with engine trouble on a 10K mile trip!
Thanks. I know it'll get me there and back, although I've chosen now not to go all the way to Prudhoe Bay, as there's limited services on the Dalton Highway.

I'll post pics of my Mounty in Fairbanks (this summer).

My ‘04 4.6 4wd Ex is at 285k. Original engine and trans.

The last 40k, I’ve been bad about oil changes. I have a rear main seal leak, so I’m adding oil monthly. Been going 20-25k miles before doing actual oil changes….

Did timing at 150k, I get rattle on load, so it’s time again. Wheel bearings have all been replaced, some more than once.

Had my Mounty to my mechanic in last ditch effort to save it because I noticed coolant was disappearing. It's also starting to use more oil.

He wrote:

1. engine rotating assembly getting noisy
2. catalytic converter y-pipe has pin holes
3. exhaust manifolds rusty and starting to leak
4. coolant leak at intake manifold to head
5. rear frame ahead of rear wheels rusty and perforations are appearing on driver side frame area

I've decided to stop maintenance and drive it till it stops, although I'm still driving it to Fairbanks, Alaska and back. It was a great run.

1708550817752.jpeg

Back