• Register Today It's free!

Any way to dl Google Maps?

anthony d

Reaction score
City, State
NY/NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Like the title says... SYNC Nav sucks, got my wife lost like 3 times driving to TN from NJ, so on the way home she used Google Maps on her phone, and it was perfect.

Any way to get the Maps app dl'ed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, how did it get her lost?

Not 100% sure, I wasn't on the trip. Before she left, we made sure all the settings were the way we wanted them. I know right off the bat, instead of telling her to take 81 across PA, it was sending her down I95 through D.C. right in the middle of rush hour, and we both know that was wrong. I checked the rest of the route it told her to take, and it was at least an hour longer than the Google Maps route which we used before we got the new truck.

I punched TN to NJ in my google mapping and the #1 route that comes up is through DC. You can select 2 other alternates that are longer in miles and time.

When we did it, google showed 78 to 81 to 40 to 24.

As a matter of fact, I just punched it in again, and it shows 81s as the best route.

Listen, I am not trying to argue or anything. I just want to use a different nav than the one that comes preinstalled. If we can't, we will just use our phones.

As far as I know, the OEM navigation cannot be changed. It is what it is. Now I don't know if this will also apply to the new SYNC 3 coming out this year on certain 2016 models.

Peter

If any other nav or any app at all could be downloaded to MFT, it would certainly be in use.
Can that work? I think not but besides Sync & a non working AppLink in MFT,
is there anything else to try with MFT?

The navigation is horrible. Last month I was driving from NY to Providence. And the navigation would refuse to take any other route but i95 North. Meanwhile Google Maps gladly pointed me to route 84, with much less traffic. I honestly was not surprised.. Seems like every car navigation lags behind Google.

I would think they could improve this with a software update. It would be nice if it showed several route choices like google and you could pick one.

The navigation is horrible. Last month I was driving from NY to Providence. And the navigation would refuse to take any other route but i95 North. Meanwhile Google Maps gladly pointed me to route 84, with much less traffic. I honestly was not surprised.. Seems like every car navigation lags behind Google.

This is exactly what happened to my wife on her drive. She said the car nav refused to reroute her, and was telling her to make all sorts of u-turns and off-course corrections to get her back on the route the nav thought she should take, instead of rerouting her to a different route like Google Maps would have.

It may not be a technical issue. It could be a language issue as with SYNC Services. It isn't bilingual.

Peter

It may not be a technical issue. It could be a language issue as with SYNC Services. It isn't bilingual.

Peter

I don't remember seeing a bilingual On* mobile App but I will have to check that. Once again Quebec screws the rest of Canada, when's the next referendum so we can get rid of that Province once and for all. That official language BS is such a load of crap.

MapQuest works fine in Canada.

Hey, Sgt!

I don't have all of the specifics; however, Peter is correct about it not being bilingual. In the past, I've directed other Canadian customers to the Ford Social site to voice their opinion and want for this feature. I know you already have the link memorized, but in case anyone else is reading and wants to get their voice heard, here it is:

Social.Ford.com

Rebecca

Hey, Sgt!

I don't have all of the specifics; however, Peter is correct about it not being bilingual. In the past, I've directed other Canadian customers to the Ford Social site to voice their opinion and want for this feature. I know you already have the link memorized, but in case anyone else is reading and wants to get their voice heard, here it is:

Social.Ford.com

Rebecca

Yes, thanks I did understand the language thing and Quebec is dictating what the rest of Canada can have for the SYNC Services question. Back in 2011 we all voiced our concerns on Ford Social, given that its 4 years later and we dont have it I will write that one off.

I was asking why MapQuest send to SYNC/MFT doesnt work in Canada, we use MapQuest all the time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, thanks I did understand the language thing and Quebec is dictating what the rest of Canada can have for the SYNC Services question. Back in 2011 we all voiced our concerns on Ford Social, given that its 4 years later and we dont have it I will write that one off.

I was asking why MapQuest send to SYNC/MFT doesnt work in Canada, we use MapQuest all the time.

It only sends the destination. Then uses sync services to do the routing. Or MFT Nav if you have it.

Back