What happened to 'Send to Ford' in Google Maps? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What happened to 'Send to Ford' in Google Maps?

astrorex

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 XLT
I use the Google Maps 'Send' functionality to send an address to Sync. It was way easier than the voice search. But recently I've been unable to do so. Initially I thought it was a quirk of the specific browser or the address I gave but looks like Ford is not there in the list anymore.

Is anyone able to send the address to their car from Google maps? I can see a list of other makes except Ford.

Here is the screenshot of what I see.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Google is no longer letting Ford use their service due to licensing issues. You have to use MapQuest now.

I use the Google Maps 'Send' functionality to send an address to Sync. It was way easier than the voice search. But recently I've been unable to do so. Initially I thought it was a quirk of the specific browser or the address I gave but looks like Ford is not there in the list anymore.

Is anyone able to send the address to their car from Google maps? I can see a list of other makes except Ford.

Here is the screenshot of what I see.

Hi, astrorex!

The Google Send to SYNC feature has been discontinued. Like Joe Dirt said (Thanks, Joe Dirt!), MapQuest Send to Car is still available to use, as well as the SYNC Destinations mobile app. Here are the instructions for MapQuest in case you need them:

http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/send-to-sync

Have a great day!

Rebecca

Is there any chance of resolving the licensing issues? Google maps is far superior.

Just read that Apple stopped using Google Maps too. Surprised you Apple Heads haven't reported it sooner. Supposedly happened in June. Now using their own maps. Does that mean when you put in a destination instead of map showing a push pin type icon it now shows red apples???:D

Just read that Apple stopped using Google Maps too. Surprised you Apple Heads haven't reported it sooner. Supposedly happened in June. Now using their own maps. Does that mean when you put in a destination instead of map showing a push pin type icon it now shows red apples???:D

Google Maps is still on iOS devices. Apple is giving Google Maps the axe when iOS 6 comes out in the fall.

yeah, this is seriously frustrating.... and the Sync destinations app search is horrible. I put in a very specific address with zip code and everything and then gives me 3 options that I can't even read.

This MFT stuff keeps getting worse. I can't believe Ford let the license lapse. With all the bad press from this thing they should be paying whatever it takes to keep google on board.

I gave up on mapquest many, many years ago because it was so horrible.

Using Yelp on the destinations app isn't any better.

More and more I am leaning towards anything but Ford for my next vehicle.

If you have an Android phone, there's an easy way to use Google Maps using the free "Send To Car" app. Send To Car will store your Sync information and when you look up your address in Google Maps, you use the "Share this place" feature and "Send To Car" will appear in the options. Click send, and voila.

I have a terrible time with searching using the NAV in my Ex, and I only have Sync in my F150 so it's much easier for me to look it up on my phone and send it. If you have an address, you can directly input it into Send To Car, also.

MapQuest gives me fits on adresses (Principal Park Stadium in Des Moines is one of them). The Sync Destinations app needs more development, hopefully that will continue to improve.

Update: I thought I'd better test it since it's been a week since I've used it. Yes, Send To Car works inside Google Maps on my phone.

If you have an Android phone, there's an easy way to use Google Maps using the free "Send To Car" app. Send To Car will store your Sync information and when you look up your address in Google Maps, you use the "Share this place" feature and "Send To Car" will appear in the options. Click send, and voila.

I have a terrible time with searching using the NAV in my Ex, and I only have Sync in my F150 so it's much easier for me to look it up on my phone and send it. If you have an address, you can directly input it into Send To Car, also.

MapQuest gives me fits on adresses (Principal Park Stadium in Des Moines is one of them). The Sync Destinations app needs more development, hopefully that will continue to improve.

Update: I thought I'd better test it since it's been a week since I've used it. Yes, Send To Car works inside Google Maps on my phone.

Wow! I'm glad to see "send to car" still works on my DroidX which is nice when your on vacation or away from a computer but a big screen is still prefered.

I too do not like MapQuest. Before I retired from truck driving, I would get someone coming up to me once a month or so asking for directions. Low and behold most would be holding a printed directions page from MapQuest.
Guess I'm going to have to get used to MapQuest. One good thing, I have nav so directions come off the sd card.

Thanks for the update chili-cat.

Not sure what the licensing issues are but I also prefer google maps over mapquest. Even better...I had a brand new Ford Flex as a rental this week. Top of the line with nav. The nab could not find an address in downtown Columbia MO. This was in the middle of the city, not a new subdivision, etc. I'm guessing the road has been there for at least 50 years, maybe longer. It was also a normal street name (Cherry St) not a number or direction, etc.

Not sure what the licensing issues are but I also prefer google maps over mapquest. Even better...I had a brand new Ford Flex as a rental this week. Top of the line with nav. The nab could not find an address in downtown Columbia MO. This was in the middle of the city, not a new subdivision, etc. I'm guessing the road has been there for at least 50 years, maybe longer. It was also a normal street name (Cherry St) not a number or direction, etc.

I prefer google maps as well. I went to a soccer game in Los Angeles last week, so I gave mapquest a try. The game was at the Home Depot Center. When I did a search for Home Depot Center in Carson, it kept pulling up Home Depot stores. I then zoomed the map to the stadium and tried the search again. Same results pulled up for Home Depot stores. With google maps, when I searched Home Depot Center, it pulled it up right away. I know the directions, but I was curious to give Mapquest a try. I'll just use send to car app on Android or the Ford App if I need directions.

I prefer google maps as well. I went to a soccer game in Los Angeles last week, so I gave mapquest a try. The game was at the Home Depot Center. When I did a search for Home Depot Center in Carson, it kept pulling up Home Depot stores. I then zoomed the map to the stadium and tried the search again. Same results pulled up for Home Depot stores. With google maps, when I searched Home Depot Center, it pulled it up right away. I know the directions, but I was curious to give Mapquest a try. I'll just use send to car app on Android or the Ford App if I need directions.

Have you tried it again? Just curious, because with all the complaints about mapquest here, I thought I would try it myself (always used google too) and I loaded mapquest.com, in the search field in the upper left I typed "home depot center, carson, ca" and hit search, and result #1 was the actual Home Depot Center.

Have you tried it again? Just curious, because with all the complaints about mapquest here, I thought I would try it myself (always used google too) and I loaded mapquest.com, in the search field in the upper left I typed "home depot center, carson, ca" and hit search, and result #1 was the actual Home Depot Center.

I just tried it again. Strange. It pulled it up for me as the first result as well. I don't know what happened when I originally tried searching for the Home Depot Center and it didn't pull up on mapquest. I will try it at home on my lunch break since I was using a different browser then the one I'm on now at work. I'm sure that doesn't make a difference, but now I'm really curious seeing as it works fine now.

Google Maps is still on iOS devices. Apple is giving Google Maps the axe when iOS 6 comes out in the fall.
Using iOS6 Beta is mehh too, I don't think there's a single dev/user right now that likes their version of maps, and release is only shortly away. They have a ton of work to do to even come close to approaching Google Maps, no way that'll be done in time. Cities and places still missing streets and names etc. Think Apple has an epic fail on hand with their Maps and Nav app, maybe in iOS7 or 8 it'll be decent lol. And it's data based only so have to have cell signal. Maps on Android can be used completely offline now like a normal GPS unit.

Mapquest sucks too, not sure what the licensing issue is between Ford and Google, but found Mapquest to be inaccurate quite a few times.

Using iOS6 Beta is mehh too, I don't think there's a single dev/user right now that likes their version of maps, and release is only shortly away. They have a ton of work to do to even come close to approaching Google Maps, no way that'll be done in time. Cities and places still missing streets and names etc. Think Apple has an epic fail on hand with their Maps and Nav app, maybe in iOS7 or 8 it'll be decent lol. And it's data based only so have to have cell signal. Maps on Android can be used completely offline now like a normal GPS unit.

Mapquest sucks too, not sure what the licensing issue is between Ford and Google, but found Mapquest to be inaccurate quite a few times.

My bet is money.

I have checked out maps on iOS 6. I thought it was very good, but it's obviously a work in progress. In no way will it be an epic fail. I actually liked Apple maps better then the Google maps on iOS because Google doesn't have turn by turn directions like Apple Maps has. That's a big feature iPhone users have been waiting for. Apple will add offline maps in the future. The offline mode on Google Maps is pretty useless I felt. You can't navigate in offline mode so what's really the point in having it? Plus, you can only store a limited area, which isn't that great. Overall, offline mode wasn't done very well by Google. One thing I will miss from Google Maps is Street View. That feature is really cool. I'm sure Google will have their own Maps App for iOS. The way I look at it, the more Map Apps, the better it will be for consumers since Apple and Google will compete and continue to add features.

I have checked out maps on iOS 6. I thought it was very good, but it's obviously a work in progress. In no way will it be an epic fail. I actually liked Apple maps better then the Google maps on iOS because Google doesn't have turn by turn directions like Apple Maps has. That's a big feature iPhone users have been waiting for. Apple will add offline maps in the future. The offline mode on Google Maps is pretty useless I felt. You can't navigate in offline mode so what's really the point in having it? Plus, you can only store a limited area, which isn't that great. Overall, offline mode wasn't done very well by Google. One thing I will miss from Google Maps is Street View. That feature is really cool. I'm sure Google will have their own Maps App for iOS. The way I look at it, the more Map Apps, the better it will be for consumers since Apple and Google will compete and continue to add features.
?? Have Maps/Nav on my GS2 and it rocks. Offline is great for those in spotty areas where spotty data will give issues, since iOS needs a data connection for maps. Unless you were talking about the Google Maps version on iOS?

That is completely different from the Android version and limited on features and use and like no integration, or turn by turn. Looks like Google is willing to offer their "full" Android version for iOS users though in the App store, think their still waiting to see what Apple says, since thats a good chunk of advertising revenue for them on iOS. iOS6 Maps has so many missing streets and other inaccuracies when using it or just even streets with no names, I doubt they'll have it ready in time for launch, pry be the next few updates before they get it sorted well enough. Beta Maps is even worse for users overseas like UK or Asia etc. They only have like 1-2 months to tidy up (doubt we'll see another update, next will pry be GM for iOS), orders in Sept and launch in Oct though rumors say they may launch earlier sometime mid/late Sept. Using it in FL right now and GA when I was there sucked.

I found myself using the phone Nav more then car/truck factory Navs lol, just easier and quicker lol. Few buddies are like that too, always wondered if I was the oddball out doing that?? Send To Car though is a great app to circumvent the Google/Ford issue, be cool if they made a version for iOS.

?? Have Maps/Nav on my GS2 and it rocks. Offline is great for those in spotty areas where spotty data will give issues, since iOS needs a data connection for maps. Unless you were talking about the Google Maps version on iOS?

That is completely different from the Android version and limited on features and use and like no integration, or turn by turn. Looks like Google is willing to offer their "full" Android version for iOS users though in the App store, think their still waiting to see what Apple says, since thats a good chunk of advertising revenue for them on iOS. iOS6 Maps has so many missing streets and other inaccuracies when using it or just even streets with no names, I doubt they'll have it ready in time for launch, pry be the next few updates before they get it sorted well enough. Beta Maps is even worse for users overseas like UK or Asia etc. They only have like 1-2 months to tidy up (doubt we'll see another update, next will pry be GM for iOS), orders in Sept and launch in Oct though rumors say they may launch earlier sometime mid/late Sept. Using it in FL right now and GA when I was there sucked.

I found myself using the phone Nav more then car/truck factory Navs lol, just easier and quicker lol. Few buddies are like that too, always wondered if I was the oddball out doing that?? Send To Car though is a great app to circumvent the Google/Ford issue, be cool if they made a version for iOS.

Just wondering if you have an iPhone with iOS 6 beta or you are getting your information from others? I haven't heard many people complaining about the lack of street names. I used the iOS 6 Maps App from an iPhone I borrowed for a few weeks and I didn't see any missing information. I don't want to load the iOS 6 beta on my personal iPhone. You can use offline maps on iOS. You have to download an app to do it.

I was talking about the offline mode on Google Maps for Android. You can't download that much data for offline use. I have a Galaxy Note my employer provided me. Like I said earlier, Google didn't do a very good job with offline mode in my opinion. I think it's useless. Other then that, I do like Google Maps on Android. The iOS version of Google Maps is severely lacking. That's why I prefer Apple's own Map App since it has way more features compared to the current Google iOS App. That would be great if Google can offer their full version of the Map App for iOS users.

As for the current iOS 6 Beta Map App, it's not the final version. Apple and Tom Tom continue to work out the kinks and make it better. Even though Apple bought a few mapping companies, they are starting from scratch. I like what I see so far though. It's only going to get better, especially with Tom Tom involved.

I'm the same way. I actually use the navigation on my phone more then I do with the factory Nav in the Explorer. It is much quicker.

Just wondering if you have an iPhone with iOS 6 beta or you are getting your information from others? I haven't heard many people complaining about the lack of street names. I used the iOS 6 Maps App from an iPhone I borrowed for a few weeks and I didn't see any missing information. I don't want to load the iOS 6 beta on my personal iPhone. You can use offline maps on iOS. You have to download an app to do it.

I was talking about the offline mode on Google Maps for Android. You can't download that much data for offline use. I have a Galaxy Note my employer provided me. Like I said earlier, Google didn't do a very good job with offline mode in my opinion. I think it's useless. Other then that, I do like Google Maps on Android. The iOS version of Google Maps is severely lacking. That's why I prefer Apple's own Map App since it has way more features compared to the current Google iOS App. That would be great if Google can offer their full version of the Map App for iOS users.

As for the current iOS 6 Beta Map App, it's not the final version. Apple and Tom Tom continue to work out the kinks and make it better. Even though Apple bought a few mapping companies, they are starting from scratch. I like what I see so far though. It's only going to get better, especially with Tom Tom involved.

I'm the same way. I actually use the navigation on my phone more then I do with the factory Nav in the Explorer. It is much quicker.
running beta on one of the iPhones, they still have a long way to go with maps, its probably the primary complaint with beta users right now. Don't think we'll see another update, pry next one will most likely be GM since its so close to orders in sept. Yeh iOS Google maps was lacking for Nav use and no where near the features or integration on Android. I bought Navigon anyway for the iPhones.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

running beta on one of the iPhones, they still have a long way to go with maps, its probably the primary complaint with beta users right now. Don't think we'll see another update, pry next one will most likely be GM since its so close to orders in sept. Yeh iOS Google maps was lacking for Nav use and no where near the features or integration on Android. I bought Navigon anyway for the iPhones.

How do you like Navigon? I thought about buying that navigation App. The interface looks really nice on Navigon. I have been using MotionX GPS Drive HD on my iPad.

Back