Anybody remove overload spring and wheel it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anybody remove overload spring and wheel it?

WickedWindsor

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
351 powered, 1991 XLT 4x4
Today I flexed out my truck to see what it would look like after removing the overload springs.
I got great flex but noticed the stuffed side spring had a negative arch to it. I don't have bump stops installed, yet.
Is it safe to run off road like this, or am I going to bust a spring eventually? Would it be wise to install bumpstops to prevent the spring from arching too far negative?
I could see axle wrap maybe being an issue while stuffed as well.
If I install bump stops, should I mount them a few inches in front of the axle instead of over the axle? I'm thinking this may help prevent axle wrap under spring compression.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, you will bend or bust a spring running like that (you'll also have a lot more spring windup, possibly busting the u-joint at the pinion).

If you want more uptravel, flip the overloads upside down. That'll still give the rest of the leaves some support while allowing more uptravel.

Bumpstops go right above the axle.

No overloads here. Bumpstop it and itll be fine. Set the bumpstops so the spring is flat or has very little negative arc. A tiny tiny amount of neg. is okay.

Thanks, bumpstops are going on!

The Overloads DO have a small arch to them. It ain't much, but it makes a difference.

Actually the stock overloads are flat on the bottom, but have a reverse arc on the top to allow max flex, so flipping them over would give even less. Assuming they were originally oriented correctly.

Stock springs with overloads and even the stock sway bar can usually stuff pretty good. Usually ride height is the limiting factor in the rear, max stuff on one side is limited by droop on the other side.

For an SOA, I would think keeping the overload would be easiest and cheapest, especially compared to using traction bars. Most 4-6" lifted suspensions don't ever hit the bumps anyway, do they? You'd have to make the bump extend pretty low.

Mine ('00) had the mostly-flat side up, I flipped them to put the reversed arch side against the leaves for probably a good 2" more uptravel without creating a big stress point right at the axle perch.

Back