Anybody watch Trucks on SpikeTV??? 4.6 DOHC swap into an Ranger/B2500 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anybody watch Trucks on SpikeTV??? 4.6 DOHC swap into an Ranger/B2500

71cutty455

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 5.0 V8 AWD
Did anybody watch Trucks on Spike TV today? They started a new project on a Mazda B2500 (Ranger) and are swapping the 2.5 4 cyl for a 4.6 DOHC from a Mercury Marauder. Looks real interesting, especially since it's been said so many times on here that it can't be done. What do you guys think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It can be done. It's been done before...Nothing new.

If you are talking to people and they say it CAN'T be done...I suggest talking to new people.

Ryan

noone ever said it "cant be done"

but watch that film from today again... it didnt fit between the frame rails... they'll have a rough road ahead.

we usually suggest the 5.0 since it came in the explorer and should be a easier and cheaper swap

Not the easiest swap to do...

But if it were easy, everyone would be doing it...

Want a challenge? Istall a DOHC into a pre-98 Ranger...The older Ranger has a steering box that has to be relocated and the Twin-I Beam front suspension will not let you use a rack and pinion...And the body shell didn't lend itself well to an OHC engines' height without a body lift...

When Ford changed the Ranger to the same suspension as the Explorer engine swaps got a helluva lot easier...Then the swap became an exercise in understanding Fords' electronics and not just their fuel injection...

Many years ago I started modifying a Gen 1 Ranger for a PI SOHC 4.6 V8 and stopped at the steering system mockup...Tried to use the Ford box and really didn't want to change the steering geometry and decided to go with a Mustang II front suspension system...While working on that a friend made me an offer for the engine/tranny combo and I went with a stroker Lightning block buildup I had in the corner of my shop...

I never drove that truck but the engine was mounted, wired, plumbed and ran quite well...If the drivetrain hadn't been sold I would have probably run it in that truck for a while....

4.6 = wide

I saw the program yesterday (Saturday). It's going to be on again today (Sunday) at 12:00 eastern time. I think this will be an real interesting project and can't wait to see the rest of the engine install. Hopefully they won't drag this engine install out for weeks and it will be easy to follow. Sometimes they start a new project and they don't show it again for weeks making it almost impossible to follow.

Has anyone ever seen a 4.6 in a 2nd generation or if so have an picture? I think it would be great and would love to have one in my 98X. I'm hoping they will educate us, but that baby (4.6) does look too wide.

If you are talking to people and they say it CAN'T be done...I suggest talking to new people.

noone ever said it "cant be done"

LOL, calm down guys, don't get your panties in a wad. Let me clarify this a bit. Most of the time when someone comments about swapping a modular into an Explorer or Ranger SOME people act like it's impossible and that the person should completely abandon all hope and just do the same ol' 5.0 swap. I never said it can't be done, my point of posting this was to show those people that say not to do it that it's not a ridiculous proposition and to support the people that want to try the swap.

I already have a V8 in my Ex, so I couldn't care less...

This makes me want to put a supercharged 460 or something in a first gen for some reason.. anybody else get the same feeling?

i've already considered swapping a 7.3 IDI diesel into one...

Hey, second part is on right now on Spike TV. It should repeat tomorrow (Sunday) at 12:00 pm eastern time. They are shoe horning it in so far. It fits ok right now and looks real interesting!

mounted it in next week should be good

This is a DOHC 4.6 liter mounted in a 1998 Ranger...

Has anyone ever seen a 4.6 in a 2nd generation or if so have an picture? I think it would be great and would love to have one in my 98X. I'm hoping they will educate us, but that baby (4.6) does look too wide.

This is a link to Gregs' site...It is an interesting read... http://281ranger.homestead.com/

Want a challenge? Istall a DOHC into a pre-98 Ranger...The older Ranger has a steering box that has to be relocated and the Twin-I Beam front suspension will not let you use a rack and pinion...And the body shell didn't lend itself well to an OHC engines' height without a body lift...

Brett (friend of mine) put a 2004 ranger SOHC into a 94 Explorer sport, using the OHV oil pan and pickup and the 1994 OHV computer to run the whole thing. It was a very interesting conversion, but the steering box and TTB did not stop him???

There is no body lift needed, the SOHC fits in the pre 98 Ranger no problem
In the desert you will find lots of Rangers running the SOHC 5.0L with a C4 automatic behind it, Cullhane is making replica C5 adapters these days pretty much for this purpose

I was surprised at how little fab work they had to do to get it to fit in there today... Even used the stock tranny mount! Definitely a do-able swap. Marauder engine- nice!

This is a link to Gregs' site...It is an interesting read... http://281ranger.homestead.com/

Yes, it's great reading and thanks for the link Ranger7. So far they have made this project look easy. The computer hookup and wiring should be fascinating and be the deal breaker if anyone wants to try this in an Explorer. I'm still think it can be done based on what I seen so far.

I found an link to the first part of this project named "Rolling Thunder" on Spike TV. The link is the full 1st episode.
http://www.spike.com/full-episode/rolling-thunder-part/37814

Back