anyone considered a 2.3 turbo swap? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

anyone considered a 2.3 turbo swap?

SVO42

Reaction score
City, State
RV Nomad
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XL
This is just daydreaming more than anything else-I don't even have an Explorer! I might get one eventually (a 1st gen). Anyway, I've read a lot here about upgrading the 4.0 and swapping in a 5.0, but has anyone done a 2.3L turbo four swap? There are a lot of Rangers that have done it. Since they slip in like a glove in a Ranger, I figure it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for an Explorer. It would be a decent power increase over the 4.0 OHV and get better MPG (I know aerodynamics are an issue, but my SVO gets about 20/28 MPG with a heavy foot). A stock 2.3T (in top '85.5/'86 Mustang SVO trim) was factory rated at 205 HP/240 TQ, and can be EASILY modified to get up to 300 HP. The 2.3 can use either the Mazda manual, a T-5, A4LD, or C4.

Would there be any problem in getting a transfer case that would work? There were a few Rangers that had a 2.3 and 4x4, I believe. I know I'm a little biased since I'm a fan of the 2.3T from having a SVO. But do you guys have any thoughts on this? Feasibility, difficulty, etc.? I think a 2.3T Explorer would be a ton of fun. My intentions for such a truck would be mainly for a good snow vehicle, hauling, and some light offroading. I know the 2.3T may not be a great idea for a tow vehicle, but I have my Waggy for that.

Thoughts, guys?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know there was a discussion on this a few years back, I think it was a Bronco II owner that was thinking about, I don't know if he carried through or not.

Interesting.....I had an 84 Bronco II that I toyed with the idea of putting a 2.3T in. I never got beyond the idea stage though.....

One of the moderators at http://www.turboford.org has a Bronco II with a 2.3T (or is almost done with it, can't remember). Any significant differences among the Explorer/BII/Ranger as far as this goes?

The biggest problem with this idea is that, though it has a higher torque and horse power rating than the 4.0L, the 2.3L doesn't make any low end (low RPM) power. Unless you are building a pre-runner that will be used for high RPM romps, the 2.3L is a poor option.

mrboyle, like I said, I wouldn't use a 2.3T X for rock-crawling or anyhting. Sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean by pre-runner? I'm still learning a lot about 4WD and its related adventures. One point I will argue with you, though, is that available torque and HP with a turbo can be very different than NA or SC. If you have a manual especially, if you need that TQ at a lower RPM, you can spool the turbo by loading it by slipping the clutch a little. How do you think I can smoke the tires in my SVO by 2500 RPM? :D If I do it just right, I can have 17 PSI by 3000 RPM! That's without my bleeder valve. Otherwise, I've ventured 20 PSI, and it'll be 23 once I have it tuned a little better. It takes a while to learn how to feather the clutch just right, but once I did, it was easy for me to decide I'm never getting rid of that car. I know that 3 grand is a little high for a lot of off-road driving, but I think that with good technique it's definitely possible.

You might take my confidence with a grain of salt here, guys. I just got home from a Christmas party in 4 in. of snow in my '89 Mustang (2.3L NA w/ slipping A4LD) with an open diff! I sure am glad I have that 180 lbs. of sand, two cinder blocks, and a 25 lb. bag of kitty litter in the trunk. Unfortunately, to get off of the side of the road in front of the host's house, I had to dip into that kitty litter. I'm just glad no one was watching (in a way). My girlfriend and I were the ONLY people with a RWD-only vehicle at the party!

Originally posted by SVO42
mrboyle, like I said, I wouldn't use a 2.3T X for rock-crawling or anyhting. Sorry for my ignorance, but what do you mean by pre-runner? I'm still learning a lot about 4WD and its related adventures. One point I will argue with you, though, is that available torque and HP with a turbo can be very different than NA or SC. If you have a manual especially, if you need that TQ at a lower RPM, you can spool the turbo by loading it by slipping the clutch a little. How do you think I can smoke the tires in my SVO by 2500 RPM? :D If I do it just right, I can have 17 PSI by 3000 RPM! That's without my bleeder valve. Otherwise, I've ventured 20 PSI, and it'll be 23 once I have it tuned a little better. It takes a while to learn how to feather the clutch just right, but once I did, it was easy for me to decide I'm never getting rid of that car. I know that 3 grand is a little high for a lot of off-road driving, but I think that with good technique it's definitely possible.?

You might take my confidence with a grain of salt here, guys. I just got home from a Christmas party in 4 in. of snow in my '89 Mustang (2.3L NA w/ slipping A4LD) with an open diff! I sure am glad I have that 180 lbs. of sand, two cinder blocks, and a 25 lb. bag of kitty litter in the trunk. Unfortunately, to get off of the side of the road in front of the host's house, I had to dip into that kitty litter. I'm just glad no one was watching (in a way). My girlfriend and I were the ONLY people with a RWD-only vehicle at the party!
:D Where's your Jeep?

the SVO conversion would be SICK into a 2wd Ranger

I have seen one in person (pushing 320 HP) with a modded 2.3L T, 89 Ranger 2wd, disc brake and trussed 7.5 rear axle, lowered, fuel cell, and full cab cage.
It was a sick ass truck, I believe the 2.3L T in that truck came out of the Merkur Xr4ti. He had it intercooled (huge intercooler), Ice box on the intake, and water spraying on the intercooler. He used it for drag racing along with his SVO Stang.

The 2.3L T is a perfect fit into any Ranger BII, or gen I Explorer. I am sure can work in all years.

There are a few Rangers around with the turbo, most of the 2.3L T guys run them in the desert, as mentioned above.

I know the 2.3L can make tons of torque and HP, with just the addition of some aftermarket head gaskets and some turbo "tuning" they are a monster. I guess the question is does a unleaded turbo in a 4x4 truck do well offroad, like rock crawling and such. Probably not as well as the 5.0L or even 4.0L, but it sure would be fun driving to the trail!!! hahaha

I would love to get a 2wd Ranger...saw one yesterday, 92 real clean, $1250...skys the limit when building one of those

88vert, the Jeep's in the driveway leaking tranny fluid! The PO took all of the smog off of it and I finally have all the parts to make it legal. I got it about two months ago. It's going into the shop Monday for the exhaust, leaks, a few misc. things, and a passing inspection (I hope!).

The 2.3T is a great engine, but doesn't it mate to an A4LD?

Rhett,

I dont believe so.
I thought the 2.3L had a similar bellhousing to the 5.0??

C4 and WC-T-5 style

C4, well that makes me feel better about it; I have driven both a Merkur Xr4ti and an SVO with the 2.3T and it was very fun.

410 & Rhett, The A4LD WAS used behind 2.3s starting in '87, I believe. I have one in my '89 Mustang. The bellhousing pattern may be different than the V-6 version, though. I'm not sure. The A4LD in my Mustang has been on its way out...for FIVE years! It hasn't gotten any worse, and I'll just drive it until it craps out. The A4LD was the main reason I got the Waggy over the X. I needed an auto for a DD since my '98 Mustang GT's clutch wore my knee out. Now that I haven't driven a stick daily for a few months it's OK now, though. If I get an X in the future, I think I'll get the 5-speed. I doubt the clutch is as stiff, plus I might want to do this 2.3T thing...

What transfer cases will mate to a 2.3 tranny? Would a stock 1st gen X's TC go behind a T-5 or M5OD?

Back