Anyone converted A/C to an air compressor?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone converted A/C to an air compressor??

Positive Vibes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Santa Cruz, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Ok, I was wanting to convert the air conditioning compressor to an air compressor. Is this possible on our vehicles? Anyone done? My A/C needs to be charged and I hardly use it, so I was thinking this might be a good time. I don't want to spend $300 on a compressor and then have to mount it some where. Any ideas, suggestions or feed back is appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Actually it's very easy. Any compitent A/C shop could do it for you. I haven't done it myself, my buddy that owns an A/C shop does them for me and all of my club. You basically need a pressure swith, on/off switch, and a small air tank. The switches off an ARB compressor work really well. hope this helps.

Yes that info does help. I bought the aftermarket bumpers from Kennesaw and my rear bumper is set up as an air tank. I will make a few phone calls. How much PSI could a compressor put out????

Oh baby.......

Yes it can be done, your compressor is actually perfect for this.....

Look at the tech article here:
www.broncoii4x4.com

Then just go to Lycos and do a search for on board air

You will find a TON of setups and uses. Your compressor with teh engine at 2000 rpm can keep up with air tools no problem with the right setup and tank. It iwll inflate your tires like you are at the gas station, and you will be everybodys best friend off road. :)

OH and it;s cheaper then aftermarket electric compressors!! hahaha Oh and if you wire it up right your stock a.c button turns it on/off....

They say you need to run oil through the compressor once in a while, but some of these guys have been using the 2.9L and 4.0L compressors without ever adding oil and no problems......

I've got an ARB going in so I need to do something fast, I am considering the on board A/C setup with a tank since I already removed my A/C system and plan to chop the top.....

410Fortune: Thanks! That is some good info. I'm gonna look into this some more and see what I can figure out.

Sorry forgot:

Check out this site:

onboardair.com

EVERYTHING you need to know in one chart....with or without ARB is all you need to know. A bunch of the stuff they show is not needed, but would be nice to have!!! Most of the stuff is available at air tool or A/C shops around town and hardware store's....

Let me know if you find anything interesting...

I'm still trying to get together all the parts on this.

This is a great mod, good luck with it. I'm going with a Quick Air III myself. He when they do it, try to have them make something the will rev your rpm's high without you having to be in the truck with your foot on the gas. I know some HEEPers are doing this.

Xplodor: I wish I could afford a Quick Air. That is a good idea on keepin the rpms up without someone in the car. Any ideas or theories? Anyone?

Many-a-lonely nights at home doing nothing to save up for this bad boy!!! :D
Hopefully have my Air on by the end of this month. Then it's off to do my Gears and ARB next month.

I'll email my old HEEP club and see what they have to say about on board air.

To adjust the RPMs while the A.C compressor is being used they use a little Idle Air Control interface, Im not sure how but if you tap into one of the IAC wires and change the voltage it gets it will increase, decrease the idle.

I believe there is info on this at onboardair.com
I picked up my ARB compressor yesterday, the locker itself is already installed, i plan to eventually convert my old A/C compressor into a full on board air setup using a 2.5 gal tank, etc, but for nowe I need my locker so I wwnt with the tried and true ARB setup...I may add a tank to it and go from there.....installing the switches and compressor this weekend! Finally locked and loaded!!!

ARB makes the compressor kit, so you can use it to air up.

If I go QAIII and get a tank, I'll be able to run my ARB off of that too right? What about air tools, will it have enough output for those too if/when needed?

A Quick air III shouldbe able to keep up with tools, but not nearly as well as the converted A/C type setup. You will have to stop and let the tank re-fill every so often.

You will have to buy a pressure regulator and switch in order for the QAIII to run the ARB, too much air pressure to the ARB and you can blow it up!

Again, I believe onboardair.com has all this info.....
myplan is to use the ARB electric compressor for now, get my system in place, mount the tank and front and rear recepticles (for air hose for tools or tire fill up) and then down the road ditch the electric compressor and convert my old A/C compressor to fill up the tank. :)

Back