Anyone have these fog light billet grills? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone have these fog light billet grills?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks like it would... they dont give u much to go on with that photoshopped picture

Just heard back from the guy on ebay - said that you drill a couple of holes & they fit over hwat's currently there. Don't know if I like them...what are you guys thoughts?

Will be a pita to clean the lights behind them.

i really like em -- only reason i didn't get a grille yet was because i hadn't seen pieces to cover that area and didn't think grilles looked right without em

After reading the posts, and going on the website, the setup looked good. So I ordered the set and just received it. 05 XLT w/fog lights. Minor beef--While they are advertised as no drilling, I will have to drill holes to mount the upper grille, as the brackets are about 1/2 inch too narrow. The lower grille does need drilling to mount, not a problem. Big beef--The fog light grilles don't fit smoothly over the housing. Two holes each side do need to be drilled to mount them. They might work if you have the no-light lower grilles, i.e., 02-04 xlt w/o fog lights, but they didn't go over my fog light bezel. Also, the back is coated with a rubberized plastic, and I would guess that in short order, the light would seriously melt the backing, and make quite a mess. Also, the bar spacing limits the amount of light getting through, and to clean the lights, you would have to dismount the grilles.
IMHO, these grilles are not worth the money spent, and certainly not the look that I wanted in a "billet" grille. I was disappointed. Needless to say, I will not be installing at least the fog light grilles. I haven't decided about the rest. I have seen better grilles for not much more money.
For what it's worth, the order was received promptly and mostly intact (no template for drilling the fog light holes, but it is mostly a no-brainer).
Bill W

i recentley installed these on my 03 heres a pic

l_478647af7b2bf8177908025c986982c2.png

Chris. Nice job of installation. Do you have the fog lights on your Ex? and, if so, do the lights work, shine through, any problems with the backing and heat. I still haven't installed the grilles on my Ex, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Bill W

After reading the posts, and going on the website, the setup looked good. So I ordered the set and just received it. 05 XLT w/fog lights. Minor beef--While they are advertised as no drilling, I will have to drill holes to mount the upper grille, as the brackets are about 1/2 inch too narrow. The lower grille does need drilling to mount, not a problem. Big beef--The fog light grilles don't fit smoothly over the housing. Two holes each side do need to be drilled to mount them. They might work if you have the no-light lower grilles, i.e., 02-04 xlt w/o fog lights, but they didn't go over my fog light bezel. Also, the back is coated with a rubberized plastic, and I would guess that in short order, the light would seriously melt the backing, and make quite a mess. Also, the bar spacing limits the amount of light getting through, and to clean the lights, you would have to dismount the grilles.
IMHO, these grilles are not worth the money spent, and certainly not the look that I wanted in a "billet" grille. I was disappointed. Needless to say, I will not be installing at least the fog light grilles. I haven't decided about the rest. I have seen better grilles for not much more money.
For what it's worth, the order was received promptly and mostly intact (no template for drilling the fog light holes, but it is mostly a no-brainer).
Bill W

what buyer did you get them from? I am looking at a set, but i want to make sure i get the better ones, not the cheaper ones . I would rather spend the lil extra cash, but make sure its not from the same seller, just to make sure he wont screw me.

It was the one on the first post--goody4less. They were as advertised, just not what I expected. As I said, the real problem was in the fog light grilles. I have the fog lights, and the grilles would not fit over them and allow the fog lights to work. If I had the blank grilles as on the 02-04 xlt w/o the fog light option, I'm sure they would have worked fine. As to the fitment of the main and secondary grilles, they were acceptable, and within the same quality as others I have seen. The main reason I haven't put them on is I am unsure about the future of my EX.
Bill W

ahh ha... got it, so basically the complaint was the fog light grilles, bot all the grills. But the top grill and the bottom one are good quality?

The quality is good.
Again, my only issue was with the fog light grilles. Because I have the fog lights, with two struts running sideways in the housing (====( )) they just didn't fit well, and I was concerned about the light showing through (otherwise, why have fog lights here in fog country), and the heat generated against the plasticoated rear of the grille inserts. If you don't have fog lights, just the insert for the 02-04 XLT models with one center strut in the housing (-----) and no bulbs, they should work great.
I suppose that I could cut them in such a way that the light would show through, but haven't thought that out fully.
Bill W

yes i do have the fog lights. when they are on i cant even tell the grills are over them stock bulbs in the lights too

Back