Anyone know this part? Wireless charger 'wedge'? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone know this part? Wireless charger 'wedge'?

JimmyMcGill

Reaction score
City, State
Houston
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited
Hi,
As many others, I have issues with the wireless phone charger in my 2020 Explorer. I get that they put it under the armrest to avoid distractions while driving, but the angle is too steep and the phone keeps sliding forward ever so slightly with every bump in the road, leading to constant loss of charging and that annoying error message.
While browsing for other accessories I came across this picture on Amazon where it looks like there is a separate 'wedge' part with two knobs that look like they would push the phone against the charger nice and snug the whole time. Has anyone seen this part and know where to get it? Thanks!

1672466346211.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome to ef!

Welcome to the Forum Jimmy. :wave:
Is that a picture of an Explorer?
Wishing you and yours a Happy New Year.:party:

Peter

Interesting, I've never had an issue in the 3+ years of any of my phones leaning forward and disconnecting the charging.

Interesting, I've never had an issue in the 3+ years of any of my phones leaning forward and disconnecting the charging.
You must not drive aggressively. It happends when you slam on the brakes but if you accelerate really hard it will fall back into place! It rarely happens for me but I prefer to use my fast charger plugged into the AC outlet in the second row. The wireless pad will barely charge 5% or so on a average 20 minute drive. If you go on a 3 hour drive then you can fully charge wirelessly. It takes my phone almost 4 hours to fully charge wirelessly in the car.

Hi,
As many others, I have issues with the wireless phone charger in my 2020 Explorer. I get that they put it under the armrest to avoid distractions while driving, but the angle is too steep and the phone keeps sliding forward ever so slightly with every bump in the road, leading to constant loss of charging and that annoying error message.
While browsing for other accessories I came across this picture on Amazon where it looks like there is a separate 'wedge' part with two knobs that look like they would push the phone against the charger nice and snug the whole time. Has anyone seen this part and know where to get it? Thanks!

View attachment 437645
Our I Phone 13 Pro's cause the system to overheat after a few minutes. The cameras stick out and cause the issue. Definitely a poor design.

I am so happy that I have a 1998 XLT and NO SMART PHONE! ESPECIALLY AN APPLE! (I'll not offer the vial comments that describe that company since this is a family show.) BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
I have little flip phone which stays in my pocket when I am driving! No distractions. No tickets. No problem!

I am so happy that I have a 1998 XLT and NO SMART PHONE! ESPECIALLY AN APPLE! (I'll not offer the vial comments that describe that company since this is a family show.) BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
I have little flip phone which stays in my pocket when I am driving! No distractions. No tickets. No problem!
That's exactly where mine stays when I'm driving. All charging is done at home.

Peter

Hi,

View attachment 437645
I actually changed phone models to have one small enough to fit on the charging pad to then discover it often disconnects—with normal driving.
What was the name of the product? Maybe you could link it? I’d like to check into it as well. Thanks!

Here is another center console organizer with 4 much better pictures of this 'phone charger wedge'. I guess I reach out to the seller and ask if they know what it is...

1672631738194.png

Hi,

View attachment 437645
That's an interesting idea, never saw that before. I think many of us gave up on the wireless charger because it only fits the small smartphones, none of the big ones will fit. It's one of the "painpoints" that's changed in the 24MY apparently.

Oh well, couldn't figure it out. Must be a picture of an overseas model. Anyway, decided to get a wireless charging pad and a wireless carplay dongle for the front center console compartment (the thing under the climate controls). Works pretty well so far. But thanks to all for chiming in.

My wireless charging pad seems to works well in my 22, I have an iPhone 13.

As mentioned on another post, if you are using Android Auto then the wireless charger cannot be used. I just purchased a small adaptor that fits inside the slot in front of the cup holder and it has the plug held upright so as soon as I put my phone into the slot it is connected for charging and android auto. Even aggressive driving has not caused any issues

I don't necessarily think that you can't use AA & wireless charging, just that it's redundant if you have to be plugged in to use AA.
At least the wireless charger is accessible in the Explorer. In our Expedition it's inside the cubby ahead of the cupholders/shifter, even empty (Which my wife's isn't) It's a pain to get your phone in/out of that cubby, and that's with a 'standard' size phone (Galaxy S23). Can't imagine using it in her car with any of the plus size phones.

I don't necessarily think that you can't use AA & wireless charging, just that it's redundant if you have to be plugged in to use AA.
At least the wireless charger is accessible in the Explorer. In our Expedition it's inside the cubby ahead of the cupholders/shifter, even empty (Which my wife's isn't) It's a pain to get your phone in/out of that cubby, and that's with a 'standard' size phone (Galaxy S23). Can't imagine using it in her car with any of the plus size phones.
Well even though it is an android tablet, you will find that most now support wireless connection for Apple CarPlay but most do not support wireless connection for Android Auto so unless you add a device like Otto or you use an IPhone then the wireless charger is useless to the driver

I think I've used the wireless charger once, and then promptly forgot my phone in the car.
It's out of sight, so it's easy to walk off & forget.
I use AA almost every drive, and have my phone upside-down in the phone cubby ahead of the cupholders. Harder to forget it there.

I think I've used the wireless charger once, and then promptly forgot my phone in the car.
It's out of sight, so it's easy to walk off & forget.
I use AA almost every drive, and have my phone upside-down in the phone cubby ahead of the cupholders. Harder to forget it there.
This is what I use, connects / disconnects with a single hand

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, I've seen that mentioned.
Only quibble is I have a Samsung & my wife has an iPhone. She doesn't use CarPlay, but does use the cubby for her phone.

Back