• Register Today It's free!

Installed wireless backup camera

da2962

Reaction score
City, State
Norwalk, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 4.0 XLT
well, as I mentioned in one of my other threads last weekend I installed a wireless backup camera on my 94 Explorer. Got the setup from JC Whitney for $119. and free shipping. Didn't get a chance to take pictures, but I'll go through the install which was relatively simple and went flawlessly (a huge surprise to me).

The unit I got is put out by Virtual Reality labs, model #VRBCS300W. Its a pretty straight forward setup with the camera mounting over the rear license plate and held in place with the same screws as holds the plate. Its a basic 2 wire hookup, 1 wire going to 12v+ and the other to a ground. The wires come straight out of the back of the unit, so its necessary to drill a small hole in the license plate, then a corresponding hole in the bumper to route the wires, the kit is so complete that it even gives you the grommets that fit the holes. From there I threaded the wires under the truck running them through some flexible tubing and was able to bring them right up behind the driver's side taillight housing. I added a new ground screw to hook up the ground, then after checking the 2 wires coming out of the light plug with a simple test light, spliced the positive lead to the positive wire on the back up light. This gives power to the camera only when the truck is put into reverse. I assume that it could also be hooked up to a constant power source, giving you a rear view at all times, sort of a wireless rear view mirror, but for now I'll leave it hooked up to the backup light. I then went back and found places to wire tie the tubing to keep everything secure.

As for the monitor itself, it comes with the option of a plug that goes into the cigarette lighter, or it can also be hard wired in (it gives you 2 cords, 1 with the plug and 1 with just the 2 wires). It also comes with a stand, and velcro pads to install it securely. Since I still haven't decided where I want to place it permanently, for now I just plug it into the cigarette lighter, and put it up on the dashboard though eventually I will wire it into a hot lead so as not to have the plug hanging down to the cigarette lighter.

The only problems I have found are in mounting the monitor, the place I originally found that I liked, apparently experiences some kind of interference from something under the dash. I haven't been able to figure out what is causing it but if I move the monitor anywhere else I get a clear picture. The other issue, is one that they warn of, that being it can get interference from a cell phone or blue tooth. I have found this is the case, though its not too bad, and I usually try not to be on the phone when I am backing up anyways.

The entire install took me about an hour, and probably would have taken less if it hadn't been 90 degrees with me stopping every 5 minutes for a water break.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was this a kit with the little 2 or 3" black and white display? I saw one similar at Target on sale for about $100 a few weeks ago. Looked interesting but wasn't sure it was worth the money.

:ttiwwp: :D

The model I have is a 2" color monitor. To be honest, the unit isn't really worth much except as a gadget. It does make hooking up the trailer a little easier though, which was one of the reasons I got it.

Sorry you think its a worthless thread without pics PRS, but when I was doing the hookup I was thinking more about getting it done before the rain storm hit than I was about how the post here would look.

Back