anyone rebuilt the A4LD- i need some advise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

anyone rebuilt the A4LD- i need some advise

iLoveMyExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT 4X4
so it seems i have gotten lucky and found a mechanic willing to come out and fool with my truck on my next to nothing budget!

4x4 trans is leaking fluid, the suspect is from the front seal. i did research here, seems a lot is involved in properly repairing this, and that lots of other parts could be the real culprit, and could be nothing wrong with the seal itself.

this guy says he has intimate knowledge of MANUAL transmissions and fools with 4x4 trucks all the time because he likes going mudding, but does not know a whole lot about automatic trannys, and has never dealt with an A4LD before.

i am going to be out there trying to help him, and i am doing all the research he needs to know to lighten his load since he has a job and doesnt have time to do it himself.

he says he is willing to pull the perfectly good trans out of my 4x2 parts truck, and put it in the 4x4 to get it back on the road, and instead of changing out the tailshafts (which requires major disassembly), leaving both transmissions just how they are, and having a muffler shop weld up a new driveshaft, using the existing yokes. he says this has been done countless times, i have faith in it.

but...

since i already know the 4x4 is still good (except for the leak)... and he is willing to pull both transmissions.... here come the questions:

they all are regarding the bellhousing and whats directly around it on both sides.

is it plausible to swap the bellhousings, pump, bushings, torque converter, and all the other suspect parts that may be causing the leak on the 4x4 trans- replacing all these parts with the ones from the 4x2 trans, and then continue using the 4x4 trans in the 4x4 truck?

would this be simple for him to do, giving that he knows all about rebuilding manual transmissions?

is there some sort of gasket for the bellhousing that will need to be replaced?

any special tools required? anything else we will need to know? all thoughts & advice are welcome, and thanks in advance!

after nearly a year of it just sitting there, i am getting excitied about the prospect of driving my exploder again!

i forgot to mention in this that i read part 1 of Glacier's a4Ld rebuild diary, and it appeared that the pump and bellhousing looked like they are attached to each other, and the shaft just slides into the rest of the trans. this is why i was thinking of just swapping the bellhousings and converter, etc. it looks do-able... but is it really?

Back