Anyone replace freeze plug w/ engine in vehicle??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone replace freeze plug w/ engine in vehicle???

kegs5020637

Reaction score
City, State
hughesville, md
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer
I have a 91 explorer w/ the 4.0 OHV. The front freeze plug on the driver's side blew a hole through it (rusted through). I got the old one punched out (actually I punched it into the block:eek: ). A mechanic friend said not to worry, that it would eventually deteriorate away. Anyway, I can't get the new plug in.:mad:

Everything is in the way.:banghead: The steering box, PS pump and lines, AC pump and lines, motor mount, etc. are all in the way.:shoot: Has anyone replaced the freeze plugs without pulling the motor.

My idea is to pull the motor mount, AC pump (which is already empty), PS pump, and all lines. Then jack the motor up and give it a shot.:hammer: Does this sound right?

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPP??????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've never looked but can you get to it from underneath by removing the wheel and inner arch?
I always use a suitable size socket on an old extension bar and copper mallet.

I have tried to go through the tire well, and the damn steering rack is in the way. I'm at my wit's end.

In that case you have to ask which is easier move all the ac pump etc or the rack ( I would try the rack mounts and disconect the steering this might just give you enough clearance for the socket bar)
All the best

Thanks for your help Howard.

The middle drivers side one rotted out on mine. I took it to an old high school buddy, then he removed the motor mount, and put the new plug in from below. It is possible.....

Back