• Register Today It's free!

Anyone taking their 2WD offroad?

mikeinpa

Reaction score
City, State
Clifton Heights, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Explorer XLT 2WD
Seems like Im one of the few people on the site with a 2WD drive X. I was wondering how many of us on the site drive 2WD and who they are. Also, does anyone have pics, either to post or on a website of your 2WD drive "offroad adventures".

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alec is 2WD and has off-roaded many places!

talk to him

Go to my homepage for pics of a few runs. I also went on Moab 2002 and Arizona 2002 if you look up the pictures for those.

I am more equipped than most 2wds though. My supercharged power almost makes up for my lack of low range, and I do have a very high quality limited slip in the rearend. Most other 2wd offroaders would need a locker in the rear. Now with my 33s, I can keep up on most trails with the 4x4s. Very loose sand and very wet limestone or inclined surfaces and I'd have a problem. Rocks, most mud, moderate sand I can keep up.

This is what happens sometimes without a front axle and 350+ lbft of torque:

Dead Link Removed

I use to be 2WD.. check my website for some light off roading pics.

Alec and section525...great pics from both of you! Anyone else 2 wheelin?

Alec...a few questions from a new guy if you dont mind. Lockers and limited slip diff? what are they exactly (in laymans terms please) and what would be the associated costs for parts and installation (estimate if possible). I assume limited slip diffs tie both rear wheels together so they both spin (like POSI traction)? aren't explorers equipped with these LS Diffs from the factory?

Yes, the LS is equivalent to positraction. Not all Xs have a factory LS, but many do. Mine is an aftermarket Eaton unit. A locker fully locks the axlehalfs together while an LS can slip from full lock and lock in stages. Lockers and LSs can cost anywhere from $250 to 800 and usually cost $200-350 to install per axle, but don't cost that much to install when swapping gears also.

My X is 2WD, although I also have a Cherokee and Bronco, both 4WD. The X is the wife's commuter vehicle, so it won't see any off road (except when I pull it in the yard to wash).:D

One thing I would add to Alec's suggestions is a good set of tires. Aggressive tread is a must if you're going off-road in it. My X has a set of Generals on it, with a pretty aggressive tread pattern, and it went real good in the snow and ice we had last week. In fact, it was almost as good as my Cherokee 4WD with "street" tires.

OK, I checked my axle code on door panel and it states 43, which is the conventional axle with 3.08 gears. wondering what tape "D" and springs "JU" stands for. I cant seem to find it in the manual.

3.08 gears will definately need to be swapped out especially when you go with larger tires. I bet you get fairly good mileage right now but the truck feels underpowered? That's due to your very high gearing.

alec, yes it does feel underpowered. I got a little more spunk out of it by doing the throttle cable mod and cleaning the MAF.

Before I found this site I considered my x as just a get around town vehicle...now all I can think about is what mods Im gonna make and how light my bank account is going to look!LOL

This is a great site because people like you are willing to share their knowlege with us lesser informed individuals. THANKS!

If I was going with lets say 30x9.50's wouls I still need to swap gears? I think those are the largest I can go without lifting it a few inches, and god only knows when Ill have the cash to do that. :(

I assume I should get a limited slip on there as well?

It won't be worth it to swap gears just for 30s. Do it when you go with larger tires such as 31,32, 33. It would be a good idea to put in a locker or very good LS at that time. IMO just wait til you have the cash and go with larger tires than 30". A 2" lift only costs about $80 for a first gen. A 2 or 3" body lift is only about $200 above that. Then you can easily fit 32s and with some trimming 33x12.50s. Then you change the gears and put in a locker and you're rollin :)

Stock tires, LS, 3.27 gears:
Dead Link Removed

31s, 3.73s:
P2141808.jpg

P2141743.jpg

33s:
Dead Link Removed

Now I have 4.30 gears and hope to make many more runs. Upgraging all the time!

I've been fortunate to get most of my money back everytime I upgrade, but most of the time if you upgrade all at once instead of piecemeal, you will save money.

Mine goes 2wd'in, but nowhere near as tough as Alec. I don't have much besides KKM, exhaust and a good set of tools and stuff in the rear to bail me out. The desert close to me is pretty flat...lol
I'll post some pics next time we go or if I can get some of the old pics to scan.
Good luck man

Thanks for the info guys. My Goal is to try to get this thing in shape to do some surf fishing on the delaware shores and some camping. It would probable be a good idea to install some tow hooks in the event I do get stuck, someone can yank me out. I wont be trying any sand driving till I get some new tires on it though.
the last time I needed tires my shop talked me into Michelin 235/75/r13 LTX AT's. The tread is not at all agressive and Im sorry I did it now.

BTW Alec...this is one BAD ^$$ truck ya got there.

i am running 2wd also. you really have to know the potential of your truck. I also have the crappy 3.08 rearend but it seems to do fine for me untill i can get a new x. i have been many places i shouldn't in 2wd but it seems i only get stuck in stupid places like a shallow pond or going up a hill where i need the traction. other than that, my 2wd x can keep up with my friends when we go wheelin'. i guess it is the driver that makes up for the lack of traction. it is all about picking the best line and stay out of the thivkest tn mud.

2WD CAN DO MORE THEN U THINK!

Before my ex I had a 2wd '96 ranger w/ 4" lift, 31" muds, and 4 banger w/ 5 speed. I once berried it in mud to the bottom of the tailgate.:eek: Everyone started laughing and told me they'ed come get me! I told them no " I got it, I'll get it out!" A little bit of rock'in and got her out. Then I was laughing. Tires make a huge differance!!

Im suprised nobody caught my error when I stated my tire size, lol. It was supposed to read r15's not 13's, lol.

I looked at some 30X9.5s at a local retailer today...very knobby tread, but was wondering about how these things are in rain. I know they will be ALOT noisier, which doesnt bother me too much (thats what sound systems are for, right?). Also wondering...will I have to replace my rims if I go with 30x9.5's? I like the rims I have and would hate to have to replace them.

Sorry, didnt mean to turn this into a "tire" thread.

As always, thanks for all the great info. This site is invaluable.

You don't have to replace your rims until you go with 33 or larger, though IMO 32 is pushing the stock rims. As for rain traction, it all depends on the compound and siping. You may want to go to www.tirerack.com and see if that tire has user ratings. But do not buy from them ;)

yeha great pictures going there

question for section525. did you have trouble w/ your SVO header, installing, running it, doing smog tests w/ it? i thought the SVO catalog said that's illegal on emission controlled vehicles, and am i correct that all cal cars are emission controlled vehicles? that's the reason i didn't get the SVO headers (...yet), 'cuz mine's a california car... but i'd so get it in a heartbeat if that's not a concern. does it add much boost to the engine?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't do any rockcrawling like you guys or cross over water but in my 2wd sport I do a lot of playing in the sand dunes in Rocky point in Mexico, I have been there about 3 times and I haven't been stuck, I only put the tires on 18 psi and I'm running wranglers rt/s 235 75 15. It's been a lot of fun jumping and crawling on the sand dunes. No modifications only removed the catallityc converter (no need for it in Mexico)

Back